Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to determine option "link sheet metal style" of derived sheet metal part

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
636 Views, 7 Replies

how to determine option "link sheet metal style" of derived sheet metal part

Hello,

is there a way to determine if a derived sheet metal part has the option "link sheet metal styles" set or not? I had a look at DerivedPartUniformScaleDef but can't find a property to reflect this option.

Any hints on how to determine it are highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Peter

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
philip1009
in reply to: Anonymous

I've looked and I'm not seeing anything that looks like an obvious match to see if that box has been checked.  There might be other ways to check if the sheet metal style is the same between the parent and derived document.  I think you've found a gap in the API for Autodesk to add, make a post in the Ideas forum to make them aware of it.  When looking at normal parts, there are properties to check under Sheet Metal Component Definition, but it looks like there's no Sheet Metal specific properties in derived parts.

Message 3 of 8
bradeneuropeArthur
in reply to: Anonymous

Is this still the case for Inventor 2022 and above.

I cannot find the option in the API right now!

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Message 4 of 8

Hi @bradeneuropeArthur.  I think that setting may have just been added in 2024, according to the online help documentation.  See the links below, all from the 2024 help.

DerivedPartDefinition.LinkSheetMetalStyles 

DerivedPartDefinition 

DerivedPartUniformScaleDef 

DerivedPartTransformDef 

DerivedPartCoordinateSystemDef 

Wesley Crihfield

EESignature

(Not an Autodesk Employee)

Message 5 of 8

Seems that this still does not work.

bradeneuropeArthur_0-1715688837018.pngbradeneuropeArthur_1-1715688946305.png

The option is not there!

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Message 6 of 8

This is honestly not something that I access or work with that much by code where I work, so I had not noticed that.  For my previous response, I just went straight to the online help documentation, without testing by code.

I just tested this for myself (currently using Inventor Pro 2024.2.1), and can now confirm for myself that you are correct about this property seemingly still not working.

• I created the new sheet metal part from a sheet metal part type template file, manually.
  • Saved that new part to disk, manually, before doing anything else to it.
    • (There are is only the one, original ModelState in this new part, named "[Primary]".)
    • (There are no custom DesignViewRepresentations in it.)
    • No pre-existing model geometry, features, or user work features.
  • Derived an existing sheet metal part into this new part, manually.
    • I just mention this little detail, because the online help documentation's description text mentions this stipulation also.
    • That other part only had its one, original ModelState in it, and no others.
    • And below are the settings I used:
    • I used the 'Maintain each solid as a solid body' option, even though there is only one body in the source (other) part file.
    • I included the only 'Solid Body' in the derive.
    • I included all of the Sheet Metal Parameters in the derive.
    • I set it to one of its two custom DVR (DesignViewRepresentation), and set it to associative.
    • I have the 'Link face color from source component' option checked. (manually)
    • I have the 'Link sheet metal styles' option checked. (manually)

All of the above was done manually, using the normal user interface tools.

Now below are the results of me accessing these things by code:

• The 'LinkedToFile' property returns True.
  • The 'SuppressLinkToFile' property returns False.
  • The TypeName() result of checking which more specific type of DerivedPartDefinition it was is "DerivedPartUniformScaleDef".
  • That property was not listed in the Intellisense suggestions as being available as a public member of the DerivedPartDefinition object, while editing this code within the iLogic rule editor dialog.
  • Even when I just assume that this property may simply be 'hidden' (private), and I force it to try to read that property's value (spelled the same as the online help shows it), I get an error message that shows, saying:  " Public member 'LinkSheetMetalStyles' on type 'DerivedPartUniformScaleDef' not found."
  • While it is showing as available at this link in the online help website:  DerivedPartUniformScaleDef.LinkSheetMetalStyles 

Sounds like something we may need to tag someone at Autodesk about.  This may already be a known issue that they are dealing with, or may already be fixed in a later update of Inventor, or something like that.

Hi @MjDeck .  Could you look into this for us.

Wesley Crihfield

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
MjDeck
in reply to: WCrihfield

Hi Wesley and Arthur,

This was recently implemented (as internal number INVGEN-74427). It is only in 2024.3 at this time. If you're running 2024, please update to 2024.3. It will be in dot releases of 2023 and 2025 soon.

Mike Deck
Software Developer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 8
WCrihfield
in reply to: MjDeck

OK.  Thank you.  I figured it was something like that.  You're the best, Mike. 👍

Wesley Crihfield

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report