Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default measure tool to all decimals - ANSWER DAY

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
777 Views, 7 Replies

Default measure tool to all decimals - ANSWER DAY

I'd like to set up the measure tool to automatically default to all decimals for any new assembly and part opened without having to go and manually change it each time.

Is there a setting for this buried somewhere?

If not, how about a piece of ilogic that can run on open?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pball
in reply to: Anonymous

No user has found an option to do that yet. I believe there is an idea station post asking for this though.
Message 3 of 8
ekinsb

I don't fully understand your question.  Are you referring to these commands?

measure.png

Do you mean you want to see full accuracy for the measurements (the maximum number of decimal places)?

Decimal.png 

Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Mod the Machine blog
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: ekinsb

When modeling, the "Measure Distance" tool has a drop down called "Precision."

It looks like it defaults to 2 or 3 decimals. There is a choice that says "All Decimals." If you set it to show all decimals within an assembly or part, it will maintain that setting until that part or assembly is closed.

Opening a new part or assembly will not carry the All Decimals Precision, and requires you to set this choice again for every new part and/or assembly that you are working with.

I would like to run a piece of code on open, or just find some sort of global application setting that makes this All Decimals Precision stick around for every part or assembly that I open.

What you show under document settings ismaybe a start, but it only goes to 5 decimals places. Additionally, this setting (being a document level setting) doesn't "stick" when I open a new part or assembly.

The All Decimals Precision is there, as evidenced by the Measure Distance tool, I just want it to globally default to All Decimals.

Message 5 of 8
ekinsb

Thanks, I didn't know about those options within the command.  Unfortunately those are command specific and they aren't available through a setting or through the API.  The document setting that I showed in my last post can be set in your templates so new parts will inherit the setting but it affects a lot more than just the measure command.  There's also API functionality to set the document setting so you could have an add-in that sets it on-the-fly as new documents are created.  But you may not want to set the document setting since it does affect other things.

Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Mod the Machine blog
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

The following should fix the problem for all new documents.

If you change the Document settings of a template file, then all new files made from that template will have those settings. You just need to close all new parts and go open up the actual template from it's location, not by creating a new file.  One way to find the location of your Templates is to click 'New', select 'Projects...' and hover your mouse over 'Templates = [Default]', it wll have a popup text showing where the location of your templates are. Now just go open up each template you want to change and apply any document settings you would like.  Tools/Document Settings/Units Tab, and change linear and angular precision up to 5 digits.

Template Directory Location.JPG

I needed to do this because when creating a constraint the 'predict offset' feature is only based off this precision setting, while Inventor itself goes much higher.  So if I tried to predict an offset that was exactly .0625 and the part was grounded, then the predict offset would think it was .063, which was wrong, and so the constraint would fail.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Unfortunately, the 5 digit setting isn't enough. While we aren't certainly hoping to hold parts and assemblies to anywhere near that precision, Inventor INSISTS on perfect alignment (at least out to the "all decimals" precision) for constraints to not create errors.

If they would include the same level of precision within that setting that the measure tool can produce, all would be well.

We'll suffer for now, as it looks like this is somethign you just can't automate.

Message 8 of 8
engilic

Any solution?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report