Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CreateObject("Excel.Application") - Office365

27 REPLIES 27
SOLVED
Message 1 of 28
floccipier
10548 Views, 27 Replies

CreateObject("Excel.Application") - Office365

Hi All, 

I have receive a new machine with office365 installed and my code give following error. 

floccipier_0-1620644645045.png

excel version: 

Microsoft® Excel® for Microsoft 365 MSO (16.0.13929.20222) 64-bit

Invenotr2019 Build 330

Any idea how can I fix it?

regards, 

Sam

27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28
floccipier
in reply to: floccipier

Update: 

Changed below code 

Dim excelApp As New Excel.Application
    Set excelApp = CreateObject("Excel.Application")

to

and it went ahead but now stopping at this line:
    Set workBook = excelApp.Workbooks.Open(ProjectPath)
and error is same as shown in original post. 

Message 3 of 28
floccipier

I guess my error is still same as in Locals window value for excelApp is Nothing

Message 4 of 28

Remove this.

and it went ahead but now stopping at this line:

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Message 5 of 28

@bradeneuropeArthur I am sorry I didn't understand..

Message 6 of 28
WCrihfield

Try this:

Dim oExcelApp As Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Application
Set oExcelApp = New Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Application

Also, do you have the reference turned on within the File menu / References... dialog in your VBA editor?

In iLogic, the first two lines would look like this to set up the references needed:

AddReference "Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll"
Imports Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel

If this solved your problem, or answered your question, please click ACCEPT SOLUTION.
Or, if this helped you, please click (LIKE or KUDOS) 👍.

If you want and have time, I would appreciate your Vote(s) for My IDEAS :light_bulb:or you can Explore My CONTRIBUTIONS

Wesley Crihfield

EESignature

(Not an Autodesk Employee)

Message 7 of 28

I mean use it this way:

Changed below code 

Dim excelApp As object 'Excel.Application

to

or if you have the excel references:

Changed below code 

Dim excelApp As Excel.Application

to

Late Binding vs Early Binding!

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Message 8 of 28
floccipier
in reply to: WCrihfield

Thanks for this, I will check this later and will come back to you.
Message 9 of 28

Thanks for this, I will check this later and will come back to you!
Message 10 of 28
WCrihfield

Here is a VBA code routine that more thoroughly attempts to either Get or Create an instance of the Excel application, while avoiding potential errors, for use when you have your Reference turned on for the Excel Object Library.  This can be used as it is within your main code, or put into a Function of its own.  It also includes a Boolean variable that is meant to record whether or not Excel was already open when the routine started, which you can use at the end to judge whether to close the Excel application when your done with it.

I put in a bunch of comment lines to help explain what's going on, for those not as familiar with VBA or this process.

Dim oExcel As Excel.Application
    Dim oXLWasOpen As Boolean 'False by default
    On Error Resume Next
    'try to get open instance of Excel Application
    Set oExcel = GetObject(, "Excel.Application") 'tries to retrieve running instance of Excel
    If Err = 0 Then
        'it found and retrieved an open instance of Excel
        oXLWasOpen = True 'so I know whether to close Excel at the end
        On Error GoTo 0 'resets error handling to normal
    ElseIf Err <> 0 Then
        'it failed to get an open instance of Excel, so now create one
        Err.Clear 'clear it so we know if another error happens
        'try to create an instance of Excel (Open Excel)
        Set oExcel = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
        If Err <> 0 Then
            'the attempt to create an instance of Excel failed too
            Call MsgBox("Failed to Get or Create Excel Application instance. Exiting.", , "")
            Exit Sub
        Else
            'it succeeded to create an instance of Excel (opened Excel)
            Err.Clear
        End If
    End

If this solved your problem, or answered your question, please click ACCEPT SOLUTION.
Or, if this helped you, please click (LIKE or KUDOS) 👍.

If you want and have time, I would appreciate your Vote(s) for My IDEAS :light_bulb:or you can Explore My CONTRIBUTIONS

Wesley Crihfield

EESignature

Message 11 of 28
floccipier

Thanks for this, really well explained. I need to get back to this part of work on Monday, I will check this detailed and original post and then Mark them. But I can already see by reading code that this is really detailed and helpful.
regards,
sam
Message 12 of 28
sam
Advocate

@WCrihfield came to ask something about this and realised that I haven't even it solved because it did solve for the problem for long time. Yesterday even windows sent a notification of update and I updated it and since then now it is not working again. 

Dim oExcel As Excel.Application
'Dim oExcel As Object
Dim oXLWasOpen As Boolean 'False by default
On Error Resume Next
'try to get open instance of Excel Application
Set oExcel = GetObject(, "Excel.Application") 'tries to retrieve running instance of Excel
If Err = 0 Then
'it found and retrieved an open instance of Excel
oXLWasOpen = True 'so I know whether to close Excel at the end
ElseIf Err <> 0 Then
'it failed to get an open instance of Excel, so now create one
Err.Clear 'clear it so we know if another error happens
'try to create an instance of Excel (Open Excel)
Set oExcel = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
If Err <> 0 Then
'the attempt to create an instance of Excel failed too
Call MsgBox("Failed to Get or Create Excel Application instance. Exiting.", , "")
Exit Sub
Else
'it succeeded to create an instance of Excel (opened Excel)
Err.Clear
End If
End If

It just goes to message Failed to Get or Create Excel Application instance. Exiting even if excel is running. Any idea how I can sort this please. 
regards, 
Sam

Message 13 of 28
WCrihfield
in reply to: sam

Hi @sam.  There seems to be a long and rich history of folks encountering similar problems while working with the Excel application from iLogic/VBA/VB.NET and other code.  There could be various reasons, and it's difficult to diagnose, especially remotely.  One common issue I see is when switching between older and newer Excel files, or when switching from using older Excel application to using newer Excel application.  Older Excel files used the ".xls" file extension, and newer Excel files default to the ".xlsx" file extension.  There seems to be some programming situation's where it seems like it will only work with files with the ".xls" file extension for some reason.  But you're not even trying to access a document yet, so that's not it.  In other scenarios, people had to either undo an update, reinstall or repair their Excel installation, or redo the update, because something must have gone wrong in the update.  If it can't find your Excel application, I'm afraid that's a problem above my skill level to provide a solution for.  There are some other ways to access the Excel application from a code standpoint, but I rather doubt they would help here.

Wesley Crihfield

EESignature

Message 14 of 28
sam
Advocate

Dim oExcelApp As Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Application
Set oExcelApp = New Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Application

This one gives error literally on first line.
Message 15 of 28
sam
Advocate
in reply to: bradeneuropeArthur

going to try this.
Message 16 of 28
sam
Advocate
in reply to: bradeneuropeArthur

checking with this

Dim excelApp As Excel.Application

and it gives same error as in original post.
Message 17 of 28
WCrihfield

If you are using VBA, then double check to make sure your reference to the "Microsoft Excel 16.0 Object Library" is checked (turned on).  The "16.0" part may be different on your machine, because it has to do with what version it is.  To check this, within your VBA Editor screen, click on the Tools tab, then click on References....  Beware, these are set-up differently for document projects than they are for the main application project, so make sure you have the right VBA project selected (active) when you go into the References dialog.  (If your macro is in the Application project, make sure you click on the application project in the project explorer window, before you open the references dialog.)  In that references dialog, scroll down the list until you see an item with a similar name to the one I mentioned above, then make sure it has a check mark in its checkbox, then click the main OK button.

Wesley Crihfield

EESignature

Message 18 of 28
sam
Advocate

Thanks @WCrihfield again for a quick reply.
reference for Excel is there, it was first thing that I check when did the OP.

Another thing that I want to mention that I have a workflow from where I export some data from cad layout to excel and that rule in cad satarts something like this.
blic Sub SpitOutMG()

Dim sset As AcadSelectionSet
Dim ent As AcadEntity
Dim Book1 As Object
Dim Sheet1 As Object
Dim xlApp As Object
Set xlApp = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
xlApp.Visible = True
Set Book1 = xlApp.Workbooks.Add()
Set Sheet1 = Book1.worksheets(1)

and works perfectly even if there is no reference of "Microsoft Excel 16.0 Object Library" in AutoCad VBA library. so I took the lead and copy this portion in Inventor VBA

Public Sub SpitOutMG()

'Dim sset As AcadSelectionSet
'Dim ent As AcadEntity
Dim Book1 As Object
Dim Sheet1 As Object
Dim xlApp As Object
Set xlApp = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
xlApp.Visible = True
Set Book1 = xlApp.Workbooks.Add()
Set Sheet1 = Book1.Worksheets(1)

Dim fcode(0) As Integer
Dim fdata(0) As Variant
Dim I As Integer

End Sub

and it actually worked and excel is initiated. What does this mean? only difference I noticed is this Sub is not part of UserForm code but in a separate module? I am bit lost here.
Message 19 of 28
WCrihfield

In your AutoCAD side VBA Editor, you're saying that you don't have that Excel reference set up within its References dialog, and your code there works OK accessing and using Excel right.  While there, with your AutoCAD side macro code open, if you select the term Workbooks, and right click over it and choose Definition from the right-click menu, does the Object Browser open up and show you that selected object within that Object Browser (recognizes its Type, a shows info about it)?

Wesley Crihfield

EESignature

Message 20 of 28
sam
Advocate

Please have a look at attached video.
and if I select Workbooks term and select definition this is the error that I get. 

sam_0-1626462591708.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report