Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bill of Materials Excel Export Options

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
mat_hijs
641 Views, 10 Replies

Bill of Materials Excel Export Options

I recently found out that you can export the BOM using a template, I tested this a little and ended up with a template that has some formulas and a certain formatting that I'd like to use. When exporting manually this seems to work fine. I'd like to be able to do this with iLogic so I can do this in batch and don't have to go through the settings every time, but I can't seem to find this option.

Is this not supported by the API (yet)?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
WCrihfield
in reply to: mat_hijs

Hi @mat_hijs.  I don't recall seeing that option available through the API for an assembly BOMView.Export to Excel.  However, the very similar PartsList.Export does allow a way to do that.  I think most folks have been using the BOM.ExportBOMCustomization & BOM.ImportBOMCustomization to handle some of the customization, then creating and using their own custom export method codes for the main export task.  That way they can use whatever template they want and transfer the data whichever way they want.

Wesley Crihfield

EESignature

(Not an Autodesk Employee)

Message 3 of 11

What properties do you prefer to export?
I have a code doing this.
I could change it to your needs!

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Message 4 of 11

I would like to export the following properties in this order: Item; Part Number; QTY; Description; Veredeling (Custom); Hegge nr. (Custom); Profiel nr. (Custom); Lengte (Custom); Stuiklengte (Custom); Component Type; Filename

I also attached my Excel-file.

Message 5 of 11

Could you send me the code you were talking about? If it's changed to my needs, that's great. If not, I think I should be able to figure out how to change it myself.

Message 6 of 11
A.Acheson
in reply to: mat_hijs

The BOM export method unfortunately does not offer an option to use a template directly. So indirectly you can just do a copy of the data in excel. To get the columns of data you want use the  ImportBomCustomization which will filter the bom export per a saved xml of the bom view. Then do your export to an excel sheet and then simply copy the excel sheet values to your template using either an excel macro or through inventor.  Here is a link discussing a method. 

If this solved a problem, please click (accept) as solution.‌‌‌‌
Or if this helped you, please, click (like)‌‌
Regards
Alan
Message 7 of 11

Public Sub main
	BomPO
	BOMStr
	End Sub

Public Sub BomPO
Dim a As Inventor.AssemblyDocument = ThisDoc.Document
Dim b As Inventor.BOM = a.ComponentDefinition.BOM
Dim d As Inventor.Document = b.BOMViews.Item(1).BOMRows.Item(1).ComponentDefinitions.Item(1).Document'.ReferencedFileDescriptor.FullFileName

oWrite = System.IO.File.CreateText(ThisDoc.PathAndFileName(False)& " Parts Only " &Today.Year & Today.Month & Today.Day & ".csv")
oWrite.WriteLine("Item" & ";" & "Part Number" & ";" & "Qty" & ";" & "Description"  & ";" & "AAA" & ";" & "BBB" & ";" & "Flat Pattern Area" & ";" & "Flat Pattern Length" & ";" & "Flat Pattern Width" & ";"  & "Flat Pattern Thickness" & ";"  & "Be_Weight")

Dim pnr As Inventor.Property
Dim flta As Inventor.Property

For Each b1 As Inventor.BOMRow In b.BOMViews.Item(3).BOMRows
	Dim d1 As Inventor.Document = b1.ComponentDefinitions.Item(1).Document
	Try

oWrite.WriteLine(b1.ItemNumber & " ; " _
		& d1.PropertySets.Item("Design Tracking Properties").Item("Part Number").Value _
		& " ; " & b1.ItemQuantity _
		& " ; " & d1.PropertySets.Item("Design Tracking Properties").Item("Description").Value _
		& " ; " & d1.PropertySets.Item("User Defined Properties").Item("AAA").Value _
		& " ; " & d1.PropertySets.Item("User Defined Properties").Item("BBB").Value _
		& " ; " & replace(d1.PropertySets.Item("Design Tracking Properties").Item("Flat Pattern Area").Value,".",",") _
		& " ; " & Replace(d1.PropertySets.Item("Design Tracking Properties").Item("Flat Pattern Length").Value,".",",") _
		& " ; " & Replace(d1.PropertySets.Item("Design Tracking Properties").Item("Flat Pattern Width").Value,".",",") _
		& " ; " & Replace(d1.PropertySets.Item("User Defined Properties").Item("Mfp_Thickness").Value,".",",") _
		& " ; "& Replace( d1.ComponentDefinition.MassProperties.Mass,".",","))

Catch

End Try

Next

oWrite.Close()

ThisDoc.Launch(ThisDoc.PathAndFileName(False)& " Parts Only " &Today.Year & Today.Month & Today.Day & ".csv")
End Sub

Public Sub BOMStr
Dim d As Inventor.Document = b.BOMViews.Item(1).BOMRows.Item(1).ComponentDefinitions.Item(1).Document'.ReferencedFileDescriptor.FullFileName

oWrite = System.IO.File.CreateText(ThisDoc.PathAndFileName(False)& " Structured " &Today.Year & Today.Month & Today.Day & ".csv")
oWrite.WriteLine("Item" & ";" & "Part Number" & ";" & "Qty" & ";" & "Description"  & ";" & "AAA" & ";" & "BBB" & ";" & "Flat Pattern Area" & ";" & "Flat Pattern Length" & ";" & "Flat Pattern Width" & ";"  & "Flat Pattern Thickness" & ";"  & "Be_Weight")

'Dim x As String = Replace(d1.PropertySets.Item("Design Tracking Properties").Item("Flat Pattern Area").Value,".",",")
For Each b1 As Inventor.BOMRow In b.BOMViews.Item(2).BOMRows
	Dim d1 As Inventor.Document = b1.ComponentDefinitions.Item(1).Document
	Try

oWrite.WriteLine(b1.ItemNumber & " ; " _
		& d1.PropertySets.Item("Design Tracking Properties").Item("Part Number").Value _
		& " ; " & b1.ItemQuantity _
		& " ; " & d1.PropertySets.Item("Design Tracking Properties").Item("Description").Value _
		& " ; " & d1.PropertySets.Item("User Defined Properties").Item("AAA").Value _
		& " ; " & d1.PropertySets.Item("User Defined Properties").Item("BBB").Value _
		& " ; " & replace(d1.PropertySets.Item("Design Tracking Properties").Item("Flat Pattern Area").Value,".",",") _
		& " ; " & Replace(d1.PropertySets.Item("Design Tracking Properties").Item("Flat Pattern Length").Value,".",",") _
		& " ; " & Replace(d1.PropertySets.Item("Design Tracking Properties").Item("Flat Pattern Width").Value,".",",") _
		& " ; " & Replace(d1.PropertySets.Item("User Defined Properties").Item("Mfp_Thickness").Value,".",",") _
		& " ; "& Replace( d1.ComponentDefinition.MassProperties.Mass,".",","))

Catch

End Try

Next

oWrite.Close()

ThisDoc.Launch(ThisDoc.PathAndFileName(False)& " Structured " &Today.Year & Today.Month & Today.Day & ".csv")
End Sub

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Message 8 of 11

This code doesn't seem to be working like it should, both subs create only a header and then seems to go straight to the catch which is nothing. Aside from that I don't really understand how this would be helpful to me, I was looking for a way to export a BOM to a template so the formulas in that template would be applied to every row. I don't see anything that has to do with a template or formulas in this rule so I don't know what more I would get from using this rule than from simply exporting the BOM straight to an XLSX file?

Message 9 of 11

Could you send the template which should be used for the output?

We can update this piece of code to do that also to a template via excel.

via csv file was for me the quickest.

Regards,

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Message 10 of 11

I already posted the template to this thread.

Message 11 of 11

This will help you in the right direction I hope:

AddReference "Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll"
Public Sub Main
	BomPO
	'BOMStr
	End Sub

Public Sub BomPO

Dim ex As New Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.ApplicationClass
MsgBox (ex.Name)
Dim wb As Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Workbook = ex.Workbooks._Open("C:.....\BOM Template.xlsx")
Dim ws As Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Worksheet = wb.Sheets.Item("BOM")

Dim doc As Inventor.Document
Dim i As Integer = 1

For Each b1 As Inventor.BOMRow In b.BOMViews.Item(3).BOMRows

MsgBox (b1.ComponentDefinitions.Count)
	doc = b1.ComponentDefinitions.Item(1).Document
	MsgBox (doc.DisplayName)
	Try

i =i+1
		MsgBox (ws.Range("A" & i).Value)
ws.Range("A" & i).Value = b1.ItemNumber
ws.Range("B" & i).Value = doc.PropertySets.Item("Design Tracking Properties").Item("Part Number").Value
ws.Range("C" & i).Value = b1.ItemQuantity 	
ws.Range("D" & i).Value = doc.PropertySets.Item("Design Tracking Properties").Item("Description").Value
's.Range("E" & i).Value =d1.PropertySets.Item("User Defined Properties").Item("Verdeling").Value

Catch

End Try

Next

wb.Save
wb.close

End Sub

'Public Sub BOMStr
'Dim a As Inventor.AssemblyDocument = ThisDoc.Document
'Dim b As Inventor.BOM = a.ComponentDefinition.BOM
'Dim d As Inventor.Document = b.BOMViews.Item(1).BOMRows.Item(1).ComponentDefinitions.Item(1).Document'.ReferencedFileDescriptor.FullFileName

'oWrite = System.IO.File.CreateText(ThisDoc.PathAndFileName(False)& " Structured " &Today.Year & Today.Month & Today.Day & ".csv")
'oWrite.WriteLine("Item" & ";" & "Part Number" & ";" & "Qty" & ";" & "Description"  & ";" & "AAA" & ";" & "BBB" & ";" & "Flat Pattern Area" & ";" & "Flat Pattern Length" & ";" & "Flat Pattern Width" & ";"  & "Flat Pattern Thickness" & ";"  & "Be_Weight")

'Dim pnr As Inventor.Property
'Dim flta As Inventor.Property

''Dim x As String = Replace(d1.PropertySets.Item("Design Tracking Properties").Item("Flat Pattern Area").Value,".",",")
'For Each b1 As Inventor.BOMRow In b.BOMViews.Item(2).BOMRows
'	Dim d1 As Inventor.Document = b1.ComponentDefinitions.Item(1).Document
'	Try

'		oWrite.WriteLine(b1.ItemNumber & " ; " _
'		& d1.PropertySets.Item("Design Tracking Properties").Item("Part Number").Value _
'		& " ; " & b1.ItemQuantity _
'		& " ; " & d1.PropertySets.Item("Design Tracking Properties").Item("Description").Value _
'		& " ; " & d1.PropertySets.Item("User Defined Properties").Item("AAA").Value _
'		& " ; " & d1.PropertySets.Item("User Defined Properties").Item("BBB").Value _
'		& " ; " & replace(d1.PropertySets.Item("Design Tracking Properties").Item("Flat Pattern Area").Value,".",",") _
'		& " ; " & Replace(d1.PropertySets.Item("Design Tracking Properties").Item("Flat Pattern Length").Value,".",",") _
'		& " ; " & Replace(d1.PropertySets.Item("Design Tracking Properties").Item("Flat Pattern Width").Value,".",",") _
'		& " ; " & Replace(d1.PropertySets.Item("User Defined Properties").Item("Mfp_Thickness").Value,".",",") _
'		& " ; "& Replace( d1.ComponentDefinition.MassProperties.Mass,".",","))

'		Catch

'			End Try

'	Next

'oWrite.Close()

'ThisDoc.Launch(ThisDoc.PathAndFileName(False)& " Structured " &Today.Year & Today.Month & Today.Day & ".csv")
'End Sub

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report