Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Print Configuration Saved per DWG

Print Configuration Saved per DWG

The print configuration needs to be saved per DWG.  It's fine, if all I print is one size, but if I need to switch between different sizes, Inventor always seems to default to an A size sheet.  It should be similar to that of how AutoCAD saves DWG print configurations per DWG.  Sometimes it just takes to much time to setup the print configuration, especially if you have to switch between printing a A size sheet on a regular print, then print a D size print on a plotter and having to change setting on a plotter in order for it to print correctly.  In the short term it's not all that long, but in the long term, all that time you waste inputting printer configurations adds up. 

4 Comments
jtylerbc
Mentor

Even if all it did was default to the same paper size as the drawing sheet size, that would still be an improvement.

zwalls
Contributor

It doesn't, it defaults to an A size, no matter what size you have your DWG set to.  I have DWG's that are B, C, & D, yet when you go to print them, the paper size that is called out in the printer dialog box is my default printer and A size.  When I want to use a different printer, such as my plotter for C & D size prints, I always have to select my plotter and the other setting to a sure prints correctly.  If I leave that DWG open and print the same DWG again, everything is fine.  Unless I switch between DWG's than the last print setting will be used.  If I where to save and close the DWG down and than open it back up, I would have to configure all the the print setting all over again.

Monkeyengineered
Contributor

This is one of the main reasons I created a macro for Save to PDF, then you can leave your pdf reader set to select paper size by page size. 

works for a and b, and if I change to the plotter it automatically selects the right sizes for the c,d, and E

if it just had Adobe's option to select paper size by page size it would get 90% pretty quickly.

zwalls
Contributor

Inventor is a great program, but there are a few quirks that I find annoying and one of them is the printer configuration.  We deal with it now, but it may come down to figuring out some other way to save the print configurations that works for everyone.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report