Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please bring back ordinate dimension origin snapping

Please bring back ordinate dimension origin snapping

I use ordinate dimensions on most drawings. Before 2023, if your bottom left corner was a radius, or 2 flanges, you could touch the vertical and horizontal line, then where the intersection point would be to set your ordinate Origin.

After 2023, this was removed for some reason.

Now I have to go into the model, measure from one edge to the other, put the origin on that edge, the manually edit/move the origin by the measured distance.

This is just asking for error and also makes what used to be a 1 click job multiple steps. 

I don't know if something else with 2023 changed this unintentionally, or if this has been noticed. I can't imagine it would be removed on purpose, but it adds time and potential error with no benefit. Is this being worked on? If not, can you change it back to how it was before Inventor 2023?

7 Comments
rdhillon6HET8
Contributor

It  feels like this was a bug which fell through the cracks. I hope it will be corrected.

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk

@brandon.robertsJ3K6Y @rdhillon6HET8 It looks that It works in this scenario. If possible, could you please provide the dataset or snapshot image to show the case you are using here? Many thanks!

YijiangCai_0-1677204161437.png

CStilesCARE
Advocate

Aye, I have to agree with @Yijiang.Cai.

I sometimes use Ordinate dimensions in drawings and have had no issues setting up origin point at intersection of two lines, though they've always been 90 degrees from each other.

Maybe it doesn't work if the angle is not perpendicular?

*Edit* I am using Inventor version 2023.2.1 (build 271) currently.

@Yijiang.Cai 

I'm not sure what you mean by data set. Here is a screen shot. I've touched both the vertical and horizontal lines, but there is no point where it will show the dotted lines for each at the same time as it used to.

Screenshot (2).pngScreenshot (3).png

@CStilesCARE 

I am on 2023.0.1, Build 158

It doesn't give me the snap point on perpendicular angles either. But previously, it didn't matter if they were perpendicular or not, it would still give me the intersection point.

I'm doing the same things I did previously, it's just not working anymore. Perhaps it's a setting, or maybe there was an issue with 2023.0.1   I suppose I'll have to prod IT to see if maybe an update fixes it.

Thank you 2 for your responses.

@CStilesCARE @Yijiang.Cai 

After doing some more searching I found an older post here on the forums:

Solved: IV2023 Drawing Dimensions to Apparent Intersections - Autodesk Community - Inventor

It looks like it is an issue that was fixed on 2023.1, so I've put a ticket in to have our Inventor updated to the most recent version. Thank you for mentioning that CStiles!

@rdhillon6HET8 

Not sure if you get notifications if you aren't directly tagged so wanted to make you aware as well. The update should fix the problem. I'll report back if for some reason it doesn't fix it.

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

Many thanks for the comments, @CStilesCARE @brandon.robertsJ3K6Y @rdhillon6HET8! We make it as implemented in 2023.1. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report