Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Option to Disable Sketch Scaling and Moving

Option to Disable Sketch Scaling and Moving

Have an application option or something to disable the automatic scaling and more importantly moving of sketch features as you are attempting to dimension and constrain them.. More often than not the logic of the functionality doesn't do what the user wants nor expects. This often causes more mouse clicks and time to adjust back to the intended placement. 

To be clear.. This is not about leaving degrees of freedom or not fully constraining sketches.. This happens during the process of attempting to full constrain a sketch.

There are very few cases where this functionality actually helps a user.. More often than not its a negative experience. 

Here is one post discussing this silly functionality..

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-general-discussion/why-sketch-moves-if-dimensioned-after-bein...

Here is a screencast showing how it will move 2 sketch points almost off the screen for some reason as I'm attempting to dimension it.. Causing me to have to leave the dimension command and drag it back to the approximate location so I can then complete the dimensions again..

Here is a quick photoshop of a simple check box that could be added to disable this in the application options..
"Disable Automatic Sketch Adjustments (scale/position) "... Something like that would be nice to prevent this unwanted movement. 
disableadjustment.PNG
13 Comments
bcarlsonpmw
Community Visitor

We do a lot of sheetmetal design and not all designs are proportional.  Why does the sketch have to be locked by the first dimension?  If you want to change the dimension in the "x" dimension, the "Y" dimension should not change unless I want it to.  Please remove this option or MAKE IT A CHOOSEABLE OPTION!!

Tags (3)
jletcher
Advisor

What do you mean the 1st dimension locks the sketch? Never happens to me.

The only way "y" would change when "x" is changed is because they are linked there is no option...

You may want to post more info what is happening because what you are saying does not happen for me ever in all the years of Inventor.

swalton
Mentor

This was introduced in 2013

Basically it supposed to be a time saver for those of use who:

1. create a complex first sketch in an ipt.

2. but do not dimension any sketch elements until all elements are drawn.

IV automatically scales all sketch elements by the same factor so that you spend less time fixing sketch elements that worked when the first line you created is .975" long but don't work when you dimensioned it at 100".

See: http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2013/ENU/?caas=caas/vhelp/help-dev-autodesk-com/v/Inventor/enu...

After the first dimension is placed, you can add dims like normal and IV will honor them correctly. 

I like the functionality, but I can see adding a config option to turn it off.

bcarlsonpmw
Community Visitor
What version of Inventor are you using. This change occurred in Version 2013.
Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

More examples of this behavior:

- - - -

DRoam
Mentor

I'd almost prefer for this to be a context option rather than an Application option. Sometimes I draw something with roughly the right shape but without caring about scale. Then when I apply the first dimension, it's nice for the entire profile to jump-scale to the right size, rather than Inventor totally messing up my shape by just lengthening the line I dimensioned.

Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

I wonder if they can just make it smarter, so that when there is loose geometry it doesn't scale all of the sketch, but just the connected entities, or connected and enclosed entities, and then it uses the "center" of that.

So for instance the video where the circle moves, it would scale the circle based off of the center of it, rather than what it is doing now, which is scaling the whole sketch, using the projected line as part of the scale calculation, even though that can't be scaled.

For the slot, use the center of the region of the slot.

For the L shaped lines use the inferred center of those 2 line.

For mcyvr's sketch points, use the center between them.

If we had this shape, with the circle in it, then I would want it to scale the shape and everything enclosed in the shape (so the circle too).

GUID-FFD97483-EF15-4AFD-81F2-C96DE208F185-low

mcgyvr
Consultant

Yes I'm all for them fixing the problems with it vs disabling it..

If the can make it work better then this wouldn't be an annoyance for so many sketched features..

Personally for me this functionality has been an annoyance far more times than it has ever been helpful.. Hence why my first thought is just to disable it..

Or "maybe" it should just function as is for the "first" sketch and after that just don't perform the moving/scaling again as by that time you should be spatially aware of scale/location.

AttilaFarkas
Advocate

Hi,

Its easy to disable the autoscale. Create more dimension first (min. 2) without changing the values, and then change them. In this case Inventor doesn't scale the sketch.

Its a good way to control this behaviour I think. I always use this.

Regards,

Attila

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [7393]. Thanks!

mcgyvr
Consultant

Implemented 2018.2... woot!!!!...woot!!!!

Seems to work well so far..

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2018.2. Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

jeanie.wayker
Alumni

See here for more info: What's New 2018.2

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report