Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multibody - Pattern-Mirror As New Body Copy

Multibody - Pattern-Mirror As New Body Copy

I would love to see this: pattern (rectangular, circular, on path) or mirror as New Body Copied, to avoid to do that at assembly level and have a correct count in the part list.

At Multibody level:

1.jpg

1a.jpg

2.jpg

At sssembly level:

4.jpg

Thanks!

15 Comments
MikeSmell_ADSK
Autodesk

User would like the following improvements made to the Copy Object command.

1. The copy object command should retain associativity with the parent feature or body.

2. The copy object command should be expanded to offer support for model edges and work features.

Tags (1)
karthur1
Mentor

Working with a multi-body part, I would like to be able to copy a solid body. When the body is copied, it should show up as another solid in the browser.  After the body is copied, it can then be manipulated using existing tools that we have now.

2014-10-03_0939.png

Tags (3)
Kelly_Shuman
Advocate

One main drawback of using MSB workflows is reusing solid bodies.  Any way to reuse solid bodies would be great.  I imagine there can be limited options.

Using pattern commands to copy solid bodies would be helpful.

Thinking of solid bodies as 3D sketch blocks might be useful to a solution.   It would be really great to drag a solid body from the browser, and make a copy.

Creating a sketch on a solid bodies, and constraining two projected geometries together. 

Even a phantom body would be helpful. 

Tags (2)
DRoam
Mentor

I'm not sure I understand what you're wanting. Can you describe what it is you'd like to do that Inventor can't do?

Kelly_Shuman
Advocate

I am trying to use the Multi-Solid Body workflow, and would like to reuse solid bodies in my part file.  After using the make components command, I would like to create one part file for a solid body that is reused; instead of multiple part files for the same solid body.  

I found the same Idea later: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/multi-body-copy-solid-command/idi-p/5315867

DRoam
Mentor

I'm still not sure I'm totally clear on what you'd like to achieve, but I think what you're asking for is already possible.

Will this do what you want? It essentially copies your solid body by patterning it. You can set the pattern offset to zero if you want it in the same position as the original:

Solid Body Pattern.jpg

Kelly_Shuman
Advocate

The pattern solid bodies creates new solid bodies.  In the graphic below, I copied Solid2.  Instead of having the pattern command create Solid3, I want there to be two Solid2.  The current workflow would require only pushing out Solid2 and redoing a pattern command at the assembly level to recreate the same shape that exists in the MSB part file.  

MSB_COPY.JPG  

DRoam
Mentor

Ohhhh I think I see what you're saying. You want to be able to have another instance of the exact same solid body, which represents the exact same part, within the multi-body part? So that when the Make Components command is used, the second instance is represented in the new Assembly as another instance of the same part, rather than a different part with the same exact geometry.

Is that correct?

If so I wholeheartedly agree, this would be very useful.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would like associative copy body in multibody part

patrickberry
Enthusiast

I'm just running in to this today.  There are of course workarounds by copying the geometry to a surface and stitching it, but this tends to be a bit clunky and runs the risk of translation errors, especially when dealing with complex surface geometry.  Plus, I can never get associativity to work properly, which defeats the purpose.

dusan.naus.trz
Advisor

Please look at the picture

QTY.png

I create (multi points). Then I create a pattern. After making (make components). I will open the Assembly, then open (bill of materials) and there will be correctly counted pieces (QTY).

Rule
When I put a body in a pattern then it has a Bill of Materials (QTY).

Applies to:

Rectangular pattern, Circular Pattern, Sketch, Driven and also for enhanced body copies according to Fusion 360 (Copy-move for Inventor as Fusion 360)

please see the link:

current situation complicated. I have to change (part number) for every part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu0nFmJB9lQ&feature=youtu.be

copy-move-for-inventor-as-fusion-360

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/copy-move-for-inventor-as-fusion-360/idi-p/8270438

jtylerbc
Mentor

This does seem like it would be somewhat easier.  Currently I deal with situations like this by using a feature pattern in the multisolid, then a component pattern in the assembly that follows the feature pattern.  It works just fine, but something like what is described here would be quicker to set up, assuming "Make Components" is made smart enough to account for reusing the patterned part.

Ideally, it would actually create the component pattern, like an automatic version of the method I currently use.  That way a change to the number of instances in the pattern in the multisolid would be immediately accounted for in the assembly.

DRoam
Mentor

Fantastic presentation, @admaiora, thanks for creating this. Hopefully it catches some momentum now.

dusan.naus.trz
Advisor

I think that without this functionality, working with multibodies is very cumbersome, uncomfortable, illogical. It should work for pattern, mirror and copy.

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

Many thanks for posting the idea, and tracked as [INVGEN-74227]

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report