Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model States: Capture Text parameters in the Model States table

Model States: Capture Text parameters in the Model States table

Text parameters can be a crucial to the operation of some workflows and add-ins. Text parameters can vary from component to component, and the purpose of Model States is to have multiple components in a single file, easily sharing similarities while capturing differences. Therefore, Model States should be capable of capturing this important potential difference between Part/Assembly documents.

Please add support for capturing Text parameters on a per-Model State basis, so we can take advantage of Model States for workflows and add-ins that rely on these parameters.

9 Comments
petestrycharske
Advisor

This is also true for Boolean parameters.  They potentially require unique values per Model State as well.

DRoam
Mentor

Wanted to add, the main reasons I care to use a text parameter at all, instead of an iProperty, are these:

1. We can create multi-value Text Parameters and put them in an iLogic form to let users choose from a drop down list. This isn’t possible for iProperties. Idea here: Custom iProperties - add list type 
  2. We can respond to the change event for a specific parameter in iLogic/the API. This isn’t possible for iProperties. Idea here: API/Add-Ins: OnPropertyChange event 

If both of those were implemented for iProperties, I would be perfectly happy with (actually prefer) using text iProperties rather than Text Parameters for the uses I’m using them now.

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

It has been tracked as [INVGEN-34850]

NachitoMax
Advisor

The exporting of said Text Parameters too. I use Text Parameters and need to write code in order to get out my text parameter values.

This really needs to be implemented.  I hate that it works in iLogic but not in iPart.  I have so many parts that show the stamping and I have to create a new feature for every part number stamping.  I should be able to just at the text parameter in the iPart table.

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2023. Please review the Inventor 2023 What's New article here. Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

mfoster9TD82
Advocate

Was this only implemented with text and bool parameters, or with number parameters too? 

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk

Numeric parameter captured was supported in Inventor 2022. @mfoster9TD82 

mfoster9TD82
Advocate

@Yijiang.Cai , does it capture the calculated value of a parameter?

It doesn't look like 2023.2.1 does.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/calculated-parameter-values-in-general-tables-model-st...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report