Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leader text wrapping

Leader text wrapping

It would be really nice to either have text wrapping on a leader or activate the text box for sizing when linking properties from the model to a leader. I run into this all the time with I link the description in the model to leader text, the description usually is too long and there is no way to wrap it to fit nicely on the sheet.

7 Comments
DRoam
Mentor

Great idea, thanks for posting! I always have to spend a couple of minutes manually adding line breaks and tweaking them to make it look nice. And if the text changes, you have to do it all over again. And even worse, as you pointed out, this isn't even possible with long strings from iProperties.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. This so needs to be a thing. Some of our product descriptions can be rather long and typing out the description, just to condense the text lines defeats the whole point of using this tool.

cookie
Contributor

Yes please add this important time saving feature, text wrapping is already part of AutoCAD

Seth.Feuerborn
Community Visitor

This is how leaders are handled in SW, basically a text box that is easy to resize to adjust the fit of the text in the drawing. I would strongly recommend this be implemented.  Having to manually place CR's to break the text up is tedious at best.

Really wish this was implemented. Long linked properties are sometimes hard to handle without manually typing in the text.

ellie_finch73MKZ
Community Visitor

How is it 2023 and Inventor STILL doesn't have this basic, time-saving capability? I am using a trial version atm, to see whether we want to switch over from Solidworks, and while there are many great things about Inventor, the fact that I am finding basic amenities like this are still not being implemented means that it is very unlikely that we will be switching any time soon. This may seem like it is something really small - but every small thing equates to us wasting more time and getting more frustrated. Come on Autodesk, sort it out!

gregory_nickol
Advocate

I've been using AutoCAD for something like 10-15 years and it's had this functionality for as far back as I can remember. So the code to make it happen is already in a product that Autodesk owns. Maybe take a peek at that code, or the code used for the standard Inventor text boxes that already work this way. It's literally the same except instead of being defined by 4 corners of an imaginary box, one of the corners is locked at an offset from the leader. 

Now if it's going to be coded from scratch... I would say it would be good to give us the option to lock width OR height, with the default being width. Might as well put in the functionality to let it work in all cases where someone wants their leader text wrapping to auto-resize.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report