Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display Sketch Block descriptions when you hover over a sketch block int he browser

Display Sketch Block descriptions when you hover over a sketch block int he browser

When creating a sketch block, you have the option to input a Description.

2023-05-18_10-07-07.png

However, it seems you can only see the description when editing the block and have selected Block Properties.

Would it be a benefit if you could see the description when hovering your mouse over the sketch block in the browser?

2023-05-18_10-03-49.png

If you agree, I welcome your vote.

Regards,

Jerry

8 Comments
Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

Many thanks for posting the idea, and tracked as [INVGEN-69395]

jkrinker19
Participant

Or how about as part of the extended description... wouldn't need to hover.

SteveMDennis
Autodesk

We could do it as part of the extended description but a tooltip lends itself to long text strings and the description looks like it might be quite large.

JBerns
Advisor

@SteveMDennis,

Do you recall the original intent for the Description field? What would be its value if only visible during block editing?

Extended Description mode could be useful. How would performance be impacted if showing a tooltip?

SteveMDennis
Autodesk

Jerry, I did not work on Sketch Block so I have no idea what description was intended for. I'm assuming it's part of the persisted data model and can be retrieved in a tooltip and/or extended browser names. Neither should impact performance in any way. The sheet is already loaded when you expand the browser items and select/hover over the entry in the browser.

JBerns
Advisor

Ackn. Thanks for the feedback, Steven.

As stated before, Extended Description could be useful.

Hovering over each sketch block could be time-consuming to find a particular block if many are present.

Perhaps this idea:

In the browser, right-click the Blocks folder. From the context menu select, Details.

A dialog appears listing sketch block names and descriptions in table form.

Include options to search, filter, and sort the columns.

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2024.2. Please review the Inventor 2024.2 What's New article here. For more information regarding how you may leverage the feature, and please review this page. Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report