Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does frame generator not follow parameter driven skeleton?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
mwesse
490 Views, 6 Replies

Why does frame generator not follow parameter driven skeleton?

Hi All

I have a simple rectangular frame that is fully parametric...acting as a skeleton for frame generator. I modified the cross member count from 5 down to 4. All the sizing has responded correctly but it has left an orphan frame member...any ideas? 

I have had about 20 years experience with programming parametric parts in Archicad...its pretty tough crossing over...parameter driven construction shouldnt be this hard???

orphan.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
johnsonshiue
in reply to: mwesse

Hi! There should be a logical reason to the behavior. Could you share the files (iam and ipt) here? Forum experts could take a look.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 7
mwesse
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi John

Here are the basic files...so Im just modifying the NumOfUnits parameter would should add/subract dividers in the frame.

HTH

Regs M

Message 4 of 7
Xun.Zhang

Hi @mwesse,

This is a sketch pattern case, which means you edit the pattern number (add/remove), you have to edit frame member again to re-select the addition frame line or delete the useless frame. The reason is the 3D sketch "Frame reference model" do not know the change from your skeleton with pattern number change, you have to manually fix it.

Refer more from below video.

http://autode.sk/2FsxqAr

Thanks!

Xun
Message 5 of 7
mwesse
in reply to: Xun.Zhang

Yes but why cant the skeleton members be tagged so the frame gen know what is meant to be applied rather than an meaningless internal id?

More importantly, how does one create truly, fully parametric objects in inventor?

Does that mean Im better off not using the frame generator but rather doing all the work using parametric evaluation in the pattern generation of the part modelling?

I tried mirroring etc some sketch parameters for a reasonably complex extrusion and it brought my fairly powerful PC to a standstill so I have given up doing that. Revit doing do it very well either but Archicad did it effortlessly...but its not exactly an engineering package 🙂

Cheers

Message 6 of 7
Xun.Zhang

Hi @mwesse,

Yes, it seems a gap here and it's a good enhancement candidate for us. Would you mind nominate a new idea to ideastation to track it down?

Thanks!

Xun
Message 7 of 7
kelly.young

Hello @mwesse there are a few ways to accomplish what you want but the best I would imagine is to incorporate iLogic. 

Check out this great assortment of models and see if you can use some of the methods presented. 

Collection of ilogic models for beginner

Collection: Frame Generator Example

For further questions visit the Inventor Customization Forum!

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report