Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why cant I extrude a close circle?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
921 Views, 7 Replies

Why cant I extrude a close circle?

Sorry this seems like a dumb question but occasionally I run into this. I'm trying to extrude a closed circle but I cant get inventor to select just the circle to extrude. It selects the whole face of the part. I removed all planes that were overlaying the sketch and tried different angle and ways to select the one circle and I cant get it to work.  What am I doing wrong?

Sorry again for such an elementary question.  

Thanks! 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
CadManagerMoffatNZ
in reply to: Anonymous

To pick just the circle and extrude you will need to change the output from solid to surface.

Please see image below.

Surface Extrude.JPG

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or LIKES button below.

Daren

Dell Precision 7720 + P3418HW
Windows 10
Product Design & Manufacturing Collection
Inventor 2021.0.1, Vault Professional 2021, Showcase 2017
Message 3 of 8
Xun.Zhang

@Anonymous,

This is interesting, would you mind share the sketch to us for a better investigation?

Or you can direct to me via xun.zhang@autodesk.com.

Thanks!

Xun
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: CadManagerMoffatNZ

When I do this I can select the circle but then I cant cut or extrude? 

Ill upload the part. 

Message 5 of 8
CadManagerMoffatNZ

Hmmm

if you edit the sketch and pick the circle does the construction geometry highlight in the tool bar?

If it does un-check it and try extruding the circle then.

Construction Geometry.JPG

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or LIKES button below.

Daren

Windows 10
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

I solved the problem by deleting an unused sketch that had projected geometry on a higher plane than the circle. I guess inventor wasn't able to see through the higher sketch to know I was trying to select the sketch below it. For example I was trying to extrude the drain at the bottom of a swimming pool, but there was a sketch on the deck of the pool. 

Message 7 of 8
CadManagerMoffatNZ

Ok

I think if you strike this again use the select other drop down and cycle thru the overlaying sketches until you get to the one you want. I have shown this in the image below the circle is below the large rectangle but above the smaller one. If you hover you mouse over teh skecth you want to pick the select other drop down will appear after some time (determined by the setting in Tool / Application Options).

Select Other.JPGSelect Other 2.JPG

Daren

Windows 10
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: CadManagerMoffatNZ

That worked. I had to right click over the sketch and the select the correct profile. 

Suppressing the other sketche also works. 

Thanks everyone for the help. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report