Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Translucent Materials are invisible infront of a sketch with an image

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
744 Views, 9 Replies

Translucent Materials are invisible infront of a sketch with an image

Hello Autodesk Community!

I recently switched over from Inventor 2018 to 2021, and I am having trouble seeing translucent parts. In Inventor 2018, you could put a sketch with an image down, make a new sketch and extrude a profile with a clear material (e.g. clear green or clear blue), and see both the image behind and the extrusion.

However, in Inventor 2021 you can't see the part that you've just extruded if there's an image behind it. Removing the image solves this, but then I can't trace it. I could also set the material to something solid, but then I can't see the thing that I'm trying to trace.

Does anyone have any idea how I could trace an image whilst also looking at the parts I've already extruded, in Inventor 2021?

Kind regards

Leo

Inventor 2021, can't  see translucent extrusion if it is over a sketchInventor 2021, can't see translucent extrusion if it is over a sketchInventor 2018, you can see the image and the part simultaneouslyInventor 2018, you can see the image and the part simultaneouslyInventor 2021, extrusion is visible if  image is removedInventor 2021, extrusion is visible if image is removed

Labels (4)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

I am having trouble understanding the issue that you describe.

That brings three things to mind:

1. iProperties indicates that you have not installed Update 1 for 2021.

2. I prefer to use Chroma Key Mask or Image Alpha

3. Tools>Application Options>Sketch tab Opacity of Sketch...

Chroma Key.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you for the quick reply!

Thanks for letting me know about the update, I've just installed it now.

Unfortunately, it hasn't fixed my problem.

I'm trying to trace the image of baby yoda in the background (set as sketch 2).

In sketch 3 extruded the outline of the baby yoda, and then in sketch 4 I'm removing bits for the lines.

To help me see through the model in sketch 4, I set the appearance of the solids to *Clear - Green.

The problem is, that I can't see the extrusions which are over sketch 2 (yoda).

In Inventor 2018, I was able to see through my extrusion to see which bits I need to edit.

However on Inventor 2021, I can't see through my *clear - green extrusion, it's invisible, except for the parts which don't overlap with the background image.

Basically, I want to be able to trace the image, whilst being able to see what I have already extruded, in Inventor 2021.

Picture1.png

Message 4 of 10
SBix26

You want the Sketch Opacity setting in Application Options, as @JDMather  mentioned in his reply.  Make your part appearance solid and set Sketch Opacity to 50% or so.  When editing a sketch, it shows through the solid.

Sketch Opacity Option.png

Hope this helps,

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2021.1 | Windows 10 Home 2004
LinkedIn

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: SBix26

Thank you for pointing me towards the Sketch Opacity settings.

Unfortunately, this doesn't allow me to see the image of yoda in "Sketch 2" though the parts I have already drawn.

In inventor 2018, I was able to see through my extrusion to the background with yoda in it.

I'm thinking my problem might be something to do with how Inventor 2021 presents transparent objects which are over an image?

Annotation 2020-08-17 111154.jpg

Message 6 of 10
JDMather

Make the part a semi-transparent color.

Turn the part around.

I will upload video of what I see when it is done compiling.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

I made the part a semi-transparent colour. However, if the semi-transparent part is over a sketch with an image, it becomes invisible.

I could flip the part over however, this would result in me being able to see only the sketch with the image, and I would not be able to see what I have already extruded.

All I want is to be able to see the sketch with my image, through my semi-transparent extrusions.

Message 8 of 10
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

All I want is to be able to see the sketch with my image, through my semi-transparent extrusions.

What if you set the Model edges color to something with high contrast - like red?

Edge Color.PNG

JDMather_0-1597666391491.png

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

Thank you for the suggestion. Doing this does help to show the lines, however, i find it difficult to tell which bits are extruded and which bits are recessed, just by the lines alone.

This was no problem in Inventor 2018 as you could see the background sketch through the extrusions.

As a side thought, I tried changing the edges of the colour of the extrusions to red via appearance. However, the parts which are supposed to be solid red are still 'invisible' if they are over the background sketch.

How come Inventor 2021 is incapable of showing semi-transparent extrusions over background images, but Inventor 2018 was capable of doing so?

Annotation 2020-08-16 102741.jpg

Annotation 2020-08-17 141544.jpgAnnotation 2020-08-17 142336.jpg

Message 10 of 10
JDMather

My final thought on this is to simply apply the image as a Decal to the solid.

Decal.png

Image below with background set as Presentation (white).  Tools>Application Options>Colors...

White Background.PNG

Now you can see where there is still material and where material has been removed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report