Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trackball vs Optical Mouse

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
19375 Views, 13 Replies

Trackball vs Optical Mouse

I would like to purchase a track ball to replace my existing mouse. What are the pros and cons of each? Is it worth the extra cost to go out and buy a trackball?
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I have never liked track balls but others swear by them. One thing you may want to try is a graphics tablet and pen. I have been using one for about 3 months and like it a lot. my brains a bit screwey though as i am right handed except for writing which i am left handed so it took me a while to get used to the space pilot in my right hand after i lost the mouse. I wanted a cintiq but couldnt afford one so bought a cheap tablet pc from ebay a month ago and am using remote desktop to drive my workstation. its not perfect and lags quite often, its really to show my employer the merit in buying me a cintiq or decent tabletpc. I do a lot of work on planes and trains and find the tablet a lot easier to control on a bumpy ride
Message 3 of 14
j_madison

I really prefer trackballs over mouses. But, I always like to recommend a trackball that requires the use of your fingers instead of the thumb. There are quite a few out there that are set up for either right, or left handed only, and they require the use of the thumb to roll the ball. That is probably fine for very light computer usage. But, for CAD users, the thumb isn't as good for lots of finely detailed movement. I've used different trackballs over the years, but this one is my favorite:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/trackballs/devices/4680&cl=us,en

And, just for the record, I'm in no way affiliated with Logitech... But, I have struggled with repetitive strain injury, and have simply found this to be a good trackball to help with my work.
Message 4 of 14
Justin.Williams

I use both. The trackball is great for using my laptop on the couch (don't need a flat surface), and even while at a desk. I am a little more accurate with the mouse, so sometimes I prefer it, but the track ball is better on my hand / wrist, and I am really not too much slower with it. I have the thumb trackball from Logitech, I chose that one over the trackball that is in the center because there seems to be no middle mouse button, which in CAD is like cutting off your thumb, I use it ALL the time.

Hope this helps!
Owner / Designer
Modern 3Design
Message 5 of 14
JDMather

I strongly recommend you try one out before purchasing - personally I don't care for using a trackball.

On the otherhand (the left hand) a 3DConnexion device is just the ticket.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 14
PaulMunford

My preference is a 3DConnextion controller in my left hand for pan and orbit, a mouse in my right for picking, Keyboard goes in between...

No hands left for coffee or sandwiches though 😉

Autodesk Marketing Manager D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 7 of 14
j_madison

Mine is an older version of the one in the link above. I agree... If I couldn't have a middle button, it would be a no-go. But, with my trackball at least, I click both the right and left buttons simultaneously, and that generates the middle button click. For those unaccustomed to it, that might sound hard to do, but with the shape of this trackball, I find it really easy. Also, it doesn't have to be a 100% simultaneous click. There seems to be just enough of a margin of error so that your timing doesn't have to be perfect.

But... I do agree with JD. Especially for CAD use, you might want to see if you can borrow one for a while before you commit.
Message 8 of 14
msklein

The best by far Track ball out there has not been manufactured since the late 90's, but can still be found on E-bay at a hefty price. Like stated earlier you need to try one first, i would not work with out one, so i have bought a couple of back-up's. i bought my first one back in the early 90's new for around $60, now on E-Bay for up to $200. if you look hard and are patient you can get for about $100 unless i decide to get another one and see it first. Only comes as a righty.

msk
Trackman Marbell FX with the green connector only, and not the gray connector.

Edited by: msklein on Feb 22, 2010 9:00 PM
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

Trackman Optical here. Although a lot of users seem to like the 3d Connexion and space pilots. Never used either, but love this logitech.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/trackballs/devices/189&cl=us,en
Message 10 of 14
msklein

Never understood the concept of a wireless trackball, as it does not need to move so why care about a wire? Wireless mice make total sense to me. I tried it but just did not feel the same original has a transitional blend to the desktop, therefore i"I'm going to be willing to pay the higher price for the used version. Still own 3 have owned 6. One day i may have to buy it though.
msk

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

hah, at the time I questioned it too, the only one available was this...but the boss was paying...not me...
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous

In response to your post about Trackballs vs Mouse, I have been using and teaching CAD for around 20 years and throughout I have use a trackball. I have used many different mice and types of trackballs but the best Trackball by far has been my "mouse-trak industrial" I have had it for the past 15 years and it has never broken or needed replacement. It has left and right buttons (can be configured for either right or left handers) and a center button that is actuated with the inside knuckles at the base of your fingers (basically just a depressing of the top of your palm, no need to reposition your hand or fingers) and a on the fly double your cursor speed button for normal work when pressed, press again for half speed, used for detail and fine work.
You will find as other people have mentioned you will either love a trackball or hate it. I must mention though if you do alot of CAD it is much better for the wrists and elbow than a mouse, so if CAD is your primary work function go through the learning curve and make the transition, it's worth it in the long run!
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

I've used a mouse exclusively with CAD (AutoCAD, MDT, IV, and many
others) since 1990 when I made the switch from a digitizer.

I have not experienced carpel tunnel or any arm or wrist pain even
averaging 12 hrs/day or more 6-7 days per week. No fatigue either.

I think the reason for the lack of trauma is that I have my desktop at
the same level as my forearm when holding th mouse. Visualize a straight
line from my elbow to the mouse. There is no flexing of the wrist at
all. For those who have wrist or hand pain, I'd suggest trying my method.

Maybe it's the years of experience in using a mouse, but I prefer the
freedom of not having any 3D controller. I've owned a few, and given
them all away. I have no problems orienting my models as I need them.

As to trackballs, to use one for a day is to hate it.... 🙂

Best invention ever - wheel mouse with optical sensing. I wear three out
a year. Save your money... 🙂

--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert
Attend the "It's a Duesy II " Manufacturing Revival Conference
March 17th, 2010 More Information at:
http://teknigroup.com/2010/Duesy/dennis1.html

Subscribe to the free "The Creative Inventor Magazine now available at:
http://teknigroup.com
Message 14 of 14
msklein

Main reason i have my track ball is for my wrist, when i did contract work i did leave a couple of jobs because they would not let me use it. We had to use company provided equipment, i would start to feel some twist or pain and that was the end i left. After a while i would not take a job if they would not let me use my track ball. Started CAD in late 80's and i still have no wrist, shoulder pain and plan on keeping it that way. I also use a Space Pilot and before that a Space Ball. Don't leave home without them!

msk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report