Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split solid fails but trim solid works what am I missing

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
jeremy_wasserstrass
611 Views, 4 Replies

Split solid fails but trim solid works what am I missing

I am trying to split my part so I can show the new solid as a transparent section to denote that it will need to be modified. However it seems like every change I make gets me a "Create parting line failed" message. On the other hand if I change to the trim solid selection I have no problems making the bounded section disappear. So my question is what am I doing wrong that I can not get a parting line to split the enclosed section off?

Using Inventor 2022 on Windows 10

Ideas needing support: spur gear tooth profile, rack gears generator
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hi Jeremy,

I think I know where the problem is. This is about the confusion of disjoint lumps vs separate bodies. In the part, you have multiple solid bodies. Some have disjoint lumps (two or more disconnected lumps within a body). This can get confusing. Split Solid command does not work if the Split tool does not intersect all lumps (including disjoint ones). Also, it does not work when there are non-manifold edges (an edge shared by more than two faces).

To make it work, you have to make the following change.

1) Edit Extrusion2 and change the operation to New Solid. You will have some downstream feature failures. Just ignore it for a second.

2) Edit Extrusion8 and do the same.

3) Edit Extrusion5 and do the same.

Then you can split the solid.

Extrusion2 contains non-manifold edges, while Extrusion8 and 5 have disjoint lumps.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 5

I have access to Inventor 2018 on Windows 10 only.  I do not see any issues in the operation.  You mentioned an error "Creating Parting Line" which is bit confusing to me because you use planes to split a solid not sketch lines but maybe I am not remembering the error message correctly.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 4 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: jhackney1972

@jhackney1972 wrote:

…. bit confusing to me because you use planes to split a solid not sketch lines …. 

Sketch lines can be used to split a solid body (or trim if desired).  See Attached.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 5
jhackney1972
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks JD.  I had always reserved sketches for splitting faces only.  Learned something today, thanks again!

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report