Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Bump map files

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
karthur1
1350 Views, 11 Replies

Missing Bump map files

I am having an issue where Inventor does not find my Bump map files.  I am using the Inventor Materials library.  I have recorded a Screencast to show the issue.  Notice that the bump map does not appear in my model until I actually edit the bump map. Then Inventor adds this as a third-party file. When I try to check this into Vault, it will not check it in because the location of the bump map is not in my project path.

Don't want to add this to my project path and I don't want to start having to store these in my vault. What is the solution for this? I have not had this problem in the past, but I do not know what has changed.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/c195a010-7224-4ad5-8d46-73bf6c5e0732

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
johnsonshiue
in reply to: karthur1

Hi Kirk,

The behavior shown in the video does not look right to me. Could you tell me where Inventor Material Library is stored? Is it in your local drive or a shared drive?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 12
Xun.Zhang

Hello @karthur1,

It seems a 3rd OLE is linked when leverage texture image from non-system path.

First of all, please check if the image from system directory or not, hover concur in the image title and the path display as below.

Untitled.png

If not the case, please navigate to system texture path to solve it. 

or 

Try below steps to solve it.

1. Go to Application option -> file -> Texture folder and set to the correct folder which contains the image.

2. Close and restart Inventor.

Untitled1.png

3. Go ahead to edit the weld file as usual and edit the appearance asset, navigate to the texture image from application set directory.

Hope it helps!

Xun
Message 4 of 12
karthur1
in reply to: Xun.Zhang

Xun,

Under Tools >app options, the Texture location is set to "%PUBLICDOCUMENTS%\Autodesk\Inventor %RELEASE%\Textures\".  The file that the texture map is looking for is "weldCat0.PNG".  There is a weldcat0.BMP file in this %PublicDocuments% location, but there are NO .png files there.  The only Texture .PNG files that I have are under the C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Materials\Textures\XX\Mats folders.

I can copy the .png files from the C:\Program Files (x86)... locations to the %PUBLICDOCUMENTS%\Autodesk\Inventor 2018\Textures\" folder and it probably would solve the issue, but I don't want to have to do that on all the other workstations here.

I had rather get things back to the original "as installed" state.  By default, when Inventor is installed, where are the texture files stored?  Also, by default, what is the value for the Tools>app options> textures location? 

@johnsonshiue

My materials files are stored locally. The location of those are mapped in my .ipj

Thanks guys,

Kirk

Message 5 of 12
johnsonshiue

Hi Kirk,

Another possibility is that the Inventor Material Library you are using may not be the one shipped with 2018. Did you migrate it from prior releases?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 12
Xun.Zhang

Hello Kirk,

OK, see the reason here.

The images on my previous thread is the default setting. I believe your local "Weldment Aluminum" asset has been edited by someone since the name shows in your video as italic bold which means it is not match the library default one.  (Bold means in-use and italic means different from system library) Beside, The default texture image should from C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Autodesk shared\Materials\Textures\XX\Mats folders as what've shown in my snapshot above. 

Untitled1.png

Try to leverage command Update to solve it and go to OLE dialog to clear the link or clear the use of currently "Weldment Aluminum" asset and delete from local and reassign to the object from system library.

Untitled.png

Hope it helps!

Xun
Message 7 of 12
karthur1

Xun, Johnson,

I think that the reason the name is in bold/ italic is because I was messing with the file trying to get the map to show correctly.  I never saved any of the changes that I made, so now when I open the model, the material name is not in bold or italic..... but the map is not shown correctly either.  I'll re-record the screen cast so that you can see.

Under Tools > App options, file tab, the texture location is set to the "default" location (%PUBLICDOCUMENTS%\Autodesk\Inventor %RELEASE%\Textures\ ).  There are only .BMP files in this folder.  The texture in my assembly is looking for a weldcat0.PNG. It knows where the file is located (not shown in red or anything), but for some reason, it will not display the bump map until I make some minor change.  Notice at the 1:00 mark in my video that when I change the value from "120" to "121", then the bump map is shown in my part.

I checked my Tools >App options>display tab, Settings.  The "Textures on" is checked there.

@johnsonshiue  In my project file, the location of the Inventor Material library is C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2018\Design Data\Materials.  This is the OEM material library.

Any ideas as to why the bump map will not display?

Thanks,

Kirk 

Screencast will be displayed here after you click Post.

14f13efe-662f-4260-8abf-c7a26aa808ef

Message 8 of 12
Xun.Zhang

Hi Kirk,

I haven't seen any video here.

From the comments, it seems Texture setting are all correct and there is no png in that location which is correct. The most possibility of this problem more like someone changed the Inventor material library asset of "Weld-*" in your machine. Please take a look at the Inventor material library file "Inventormateriallibrary.adsklib" located in Design data\Material and check the file modification date, is the date match the installation data? if not, it indicate that someone changed some assets and saved the library before. Anyway, you can repair installation to repair the default library.

By the way, please try to follow below steps to verify.

1. Delete the local "Weld-*" asset after clear the usage of this appearance.

2. Reassign "weld-**" asset from Autodesk appearance library rather than Inventor material library, is this better?

Please let me know your result then.

The second one of texture rendering more like a bug to me, it most likely fixed in Inventor 2019 already since there is several texture rendering defects was fixed within 2019 version.

I hope it make a little sense to you.

Xun
Message 9 of 12
karthur1

Xun,

My apology for the video not showing.  I should have checked that it inserted correctly.  Here is a link to the screencast.

I looked at the date on the InventorMaterialLibrary.adsklib file.  The date modified and date created are the same (9/23/2015), but it is different from the install date.  The 2019 installed version of this file is the same created date and file size.

2018-12-17_0724.png

I also opened this file in Inventor 2019.2.  The bumpmap is not displayed there either, but as soon as it is modified, then it displays.

I tried to replace the bumpmap with your workflow, but I could not get past deleting the asset.  Even after deleting the weld in the model, it still would not allow me to purge the material.  This is another issue that is being discussed on this forum in other threads. 

I am going to do a pack-n-go and post the file here.  Maybe you can look at this and explain why the unused material cannot be purged.  That might be the issue with it not displaying correctly.

Thanks,

Kirk

Message 10 of 12
Xun.Zhang

Hello Kirk,

Thank you so much for the data and it is exactly the problem what've mentioned in previous thread, the in-doc appearance asset is not match library one. From your latest screencast, it shows in Italic as well which means this one is different than library one.

To solve it, just simple click Update command and choose Inventor Material library or Autodesk Appearance library, and check Yes to update, both should works.

About the unable to remove, it is because the Weldment is consume a Weld material when the file initialized which is expect, to remove it, you have to choose another weld material first. So, it's the nature of Weldment file.

Untitled1.png 

Your Inventor material library look correct, however, there is no texture missing sign "X" in the thumbnial which is abnormal, please remove the texture image "weldcat0.png" from (C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2019\Textures) before make the update operation.

Hope it helps! 

Screencast: https://autode.sk/2Adlumb

Xun
Message 11 of 12
karthur1

Xun,

Thanks for the video, but we are not seeing the same thing with the material issue. I am not seeing the "Exclamation Icon" for the Bumpmap.  And, when I update my material and choose the Inventor Material Library the bumpmap is not shown in the model.  I think that this is because I also have a custom "Franklin Materials" library that is conflicting with the Inventor Materials library.  You do not have that library on your machine.  I say that because when I use the update command and choose the InvMatLib, then run the update again, then the Franklin Mat lib will be out of date.  If I update it to the Franklin Mat Lib, then the Inv Mat Lib will be out of date.  Its a vicious cycle.   I am so frustrated with materials and appearances.

Somehow, I think that I need to get the materials and appearances that are in the Inventor Material library removed from my custom Franklin Materials library.... if they are duplicates.

As far as not being able to delete the material from my weldment, even if I change the weld material so something different, I am still not able to delete the Welded Alum 6061 from the document materials.

Kirk

Message 12 of 12
karthur1

@Xun.Zhang wrote:

Hello Kirk,

Your Inventor material library look correct, however, there is no texture missing sign "X" in the thumbnail which is abnormal, please remove the texture image "weldcat0.png" from (C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2019\Textures) before make the update operation.

Hope it helps! 

Xun,

I am using Inventor 2018.3.2.... Not 2019 here.  .  When I do your workflow in 2019, the bumpmap is shown correctly.  When I do the same workflow in 2018..... the bumpmap does not show.  I have 2019 loaded on this machine, but for production work, I use 2018.3.2.

I do not have a "weldcat0.png" in that location.  My "weldcat0.png" is located at:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Materials\Textures\1\Mats and

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Materials\Textures\2\Mats and

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Materials\Textures\3\Mats

In 2018....If I update my material style to InventorMaterialLibrary, like you say, then the bumpmap location shows the "X".  If I then point it to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Materials\Textures\1\Mats\weldcat0.png", it will put a "3rd Party" file in my vault browser and it will want to check this into vault.  Not what I want.

Here is a screencast video of how I still can't remove the unused material. I even totally deleted the weld, but still cant remove the unused material.  I think this is probably a separate issue.  I would like to get the textures corrected first.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report