Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spiral using the equation curve with sweeping error

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
323 Views, 3 Replies

Spiral using the equation curve with sweeping error

I have designed the planar spiral I need (dimensions and nr of turns) using the equation curve however, when I try and do the sweep with a rectangular cross-section of 0.5mm (this is the value I need) I get the 'self-intersection error) - I have tried reducing the the cross-section size to 0.1mm even but I keep getting the same error. 

I have tried creating different planes for the point of origin of the sweep - perpendicular and at an angle however I can't figure out what I'm going wrong. 

*The coil's terminals are not the issue because the error persists even if I delete them* 

Any suggestions are welcomed. Thank you a lot

sc1.PNG

sc2.PNG

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
blandb
in reply to: Anonymous

Have you tried starting with a 3D helix and setting it as a spiral, or starting with the 0.5 square in relation to a center line, then using coil set to a spiral, these will do what you want. Unless you NEED the 2D Equation curve.

3D Helix3D HelixCoil in 2DCoil in 2D

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 3 of 4
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi! In general, you want to place the profile at either end of the path. It looks like you place it in the middle. The behavior can be flaky and unpredictable. For your case, you may need to do it in two separate sweeps.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: blandb

@blandb Thank you for the solution - I did it in the end with the 3D helix and it worked fine.

I wanted to use the 2D Equation Curve to have more control over the spiral and also to draw different shapes-

I am still curious why it didn't work with the 2D Equation - because I used the same approach when I created the sweep with the 3D helix as I did with the 2D Equation .... is it possible that the 2D Equation is more prone to errors? 

I don't have a lot of experience so just trying to understand. 😅

@johnsonshiue  I tried changing its position and it didn't seem to help....I know that creating two separate sweeps works with a circular cross-section (saw the solution on a different post in the forum) and in my case it worked when I had a bigger gap between turns / bigger spiral 

Thank you both for the answers and advice! For now I'll keep using the 3D helix until I have no other choice

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report