Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

solid bodies with different materials in a part

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
sivashankarpsg_26
2905 Views, 14 Replies

solid bodies with different materials in a part

i have created a part with two solid bodies.

I want to give different physical material property to it 

But i can only change the appearance 

is there any ways to create with different material properties.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

@sivashankarpsg_26 

No only appearance is allowed.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 15

is there any other ways for this?

Message 4 of 15

Manage>Make Components...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 15

yes it may be useful 

but i have created a part with two solid bodies and derived it and that was further derived for a need 

if i use your solution I  have to recreate everything right!

please advice me in this .

Message 6 of 15

Attach your files here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 15

sorry I could not do that 

terms and conditions of our company😐

Message 8 of 15

Hi! Inventor ipt file can have multiple solid bodies but only one material style. Like JD mentioned here, you can use Make Components command to push each solid body to a part. The assign a different material style. Yes, you will have a source part, two derived parts and an assembly.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 15

Switch to Solidworks.  Solidwork will allow the user to have  multi body part and assign different materials to each body

Message 10 of 15
soerenstaerk
in reply to: panzilte

Yeah, convince your company to do that. Wow
Message 11 of 15

Yes you can! - Make an extrusion (say solid 1). Then make another extrusion only this time, in the extrusion box, hit - Output, and change Boolean to the blue box with the green plus (this should be solid2). This means you have 2 separate solids in one part. Next - on the left, find the extrusion you just created. Right click it - hit Properties - hit Feature Appearance - then pick a new appearance. You now have 2 solids with 2 different appearances in one part.
Message 12 of 15
panzilte
in reply to: andycathal8088

You did not understand the original post.  The user has created a part with multiple solid bodies and this user would like to assign different materials to each solid body.  For example a part is modelled with 4 solid bodies.  The creator would like to assign the following materials to each body.

Solid1 - Aluminum

Solid2- Brass

Solid3- Zinc

Solid4- Stainless Steel

With Autodesk Inventor versions R2021 or older one cannot do this in Inventor.  One can only change the appearance as you described.

Message 13 of 15

Hi! Indeed, at the moment, Inventor does not allow a part to have multiple materials (one material property per body). Fusion 360 does have the ability to do that. If that is something you absolutely need, please try it on Fusion.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 14 of 15

If I open my ipt with multiple solid bodies in Fusion 360 to change the materials. Can I then open the Fusion changes in Inventor? Will Inventor have this ability in the future so we don't have to jump back and forth?

Off the beaten path - Is there a migration path from Inventor to Fusion 360? We have over a Terabyte of Inventor data in Autodesk Vault. Is this recommended?

Thank you!
Message 15 of 15

Hi Ethan,

At the moment, only the model geometry and appearance can be passed between Inventor and Fusion. We are aware of the request to support material style per body but we don't have a good solution. Nor am I aware it is on the near-term radar.

If you want to migrate Inventor files to Fusion, as I mentioned earlier, at the moment only the geometry and appearance in the ipt and iam files will move over. I suggest you try a few files and see if this is a viable solution.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report