Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketch mode move base point changing

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
modracek
697 Views, 7 Replies

Sketch mode move base point changing

Inventor 2020, I took a short video. Im taking a 2d drawing and making it 3d, moving some things around in the process. I cant trust the move command though. Is there a solution? Know that ive noticed it im concerned I have to toss hours and hours worth of work 😞 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
swalton
in reply to: modracek

Where are all the dimensions?

I would never trust a sketch that shows 732 dimensions needed to behave in any predictable fashion.  

Are you trying to use the Inventor sketcher like AutoCAD?

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 3 of 8
modracek
in reply to: swalton

Yea I imported a DXF from autocad and was going to move some things around. Not that simple, huh? 

Message 4 of 8
swalton

It can be...  

Without dimensions or constraints, it is possible to inadvertently change the sketch geometry with mouse drags.  

Try making each shape a sketch block.  I see several repeated shapes, so you can delete the extra lines, and just repeat the various blocks.  If you want, you can dimension each shape inside its block.

Once you have the blocks, you can drag them around, or add dimensions to control their position.

See: http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2020/ENU/?guid=GUID-D4403D63-95CE-4392-A73E-DBB1B8C8C110

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 5 of 8
JDMather

@modracek wrote:

...Not that simple, huh? 

Actually - it is simple if you convert those to Sketch Blocks as suggested by @swalton .
Attach your file here if you can't figure it out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 8
lena.talkhina

Hello @modracek  !

Great to see you here on Inventor Forum.

Did any comment helped you to find a solution?
If yes, please click on the "Accept as Solution" button as then also other community users can easily find and benefit from the information.
If not please don't hesitate to give an update here in your topic so all members know what ́s the progression on your question is and what might be helpful to achieve what you ́re looking for. 🙂

Находите сообщения полезными? Поставьте "НРАВИТСЯ" этим сообщениям! | Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
На ваш вопрос успешно ответили? Нажмите кнопку "УТВЕРДИТЬ РЕШЕНИЕ" | Have your question been answered successfully? Click "ACCEPT SOLUTION" button.

Лена Талхина/Lena Talkhina
Менеджер Сообщества - Русский/Community Manager - Russian

Message 7 of 8
A.Acheson
in reply to: lena.talkhina

I see the same behaviour in creating symbols. If you copy a sketch in from AutoCAD and do not want to dimension  it fully  the move command at base point fails to stick at the corner you select. By the end of the move the sketch item has moved away from the cursor. 

There is no block command in the symbol sketch . 

If this solved a problem, please click (accept) as solution.‌‌‌‌
Or if this helped you, please, click (like)‌‌
Regards
Alan
Message 8 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi Alan,

Indeed, it would be nice if Inventor drawing sketch supports sketch blocks. But, it is not something we are looking to support soon. Do you know actually you can reuse AutoCAD blocks within Inventor without having to recreate them? If you start a new drawing using the dwg file as a template, the AutoCAD blocks will be included. You can insert it from the browser panel without having to recreate it.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report