Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sick Dimensions

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
699 Views, 9 Replies

Sick Dimensions

Could anyone comment on the "Sick" dimensions that appear in the .idw file after an associated model is changed? We're looking to build sheet metal chutes from a library of models of standard chutes. We would like to change the lengths and sizes of the standard chutes and then get completed drawings. However, we're turned off by the lost dimensions that commonly occur. We're told that this problem is not commonly seen, or at least complained about. Do others experience this? Do most people just accept this and fix the dimensions? Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Inventor 8 should clear up the issue... sick dimensions for the most part were attributed to the BackAHL.exe of previous versions. I would try IV8 on a BACKUP set of files to see if it works. New drawings in IV8 should not have this behavior. Dennis jross wrote: >Could anyone comment on the "Sick" dimensions that appear in the .idw file after an associated model is changed? We're looking to build sheet metal chutes from a library of models of standard chutes. We would like to change the lengths and sizes of the standard chutes and then get completed drawings. However, we're turned off by the lost dimensions that commonly occur. We're told that this problem is not commonly seen, or at least complained about. Do others experience this? Do most people just accept this and fix the dimensions? Thanks. > > -- Dennis Jeffrey Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert Autodesk Product Consulting and Training Tekni Omicron - Center for Design Excellence http://www.design-excellence.com 260-459-1311x 221 or 800-550-6070 x 221
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

Dennis, Thanks for your response. We were told that this problem was fixed in Version 8 also. We were waiting for the fix to really dig into the project. However, we still have the problem. Our VAR looked at it and agrees that it still exits. In previous versions did users just accept this? Problem is, it cuts into the payback we anticipate from the project.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

Some of the sick dimensions are related to modeling methods used to edit existing parts. I you delete a shape and add it back in the dimensions will get sick. If you have a hole and add a c'bore or a c'sink to it the dimensions will get sick. Those kind of issues will still have to be addressed by the operator. jross wrote: > Dennis, Thanks for your response. We were told that this problem was fixed in Version 8 also. We were waiting for the fix to really dig into the project. However, we still have the problem. Our VAR looked at it and agrees that it still exits. In previous versions did users just accept this? Problem is, it cuts into the payback we anticipate from the project. -- Hal Gwin Mechanical Designer Xenogen W2K SP4 Dell Precision 650 Dual 2.66 GHz Xeon 1.5 GB DDR Quadro4 900 XGL nVidia 6.14.10.4472 w/registry update Dell UltraSharp 19" LCD
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Are you talking about opening older files that had the problem into IV8? IV8 to my knowledge will not repair the broken files, but should solve it for you going forward. Also, some "sick dimensions where attributed to other issues as well. I would search the IV7 and 8 NG for related topics. Dennis jross wrote: >Dennis, Thanks for your response. We were told that this problem was fixed in Version 8 also. We were waiting for the fix to really dig into the project. However, we still have the problem. Our VAR looked at it and agrees that it still exits. In previous versions did users just accept this? Problem is, it cuts into the payback we anticipate from the project. > > -- Dennis Jeffrey Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert Autodesk Product Consulting and Training Tekni Omicron - Center for Design Excellence http://www.design-excellence.com 260-459-1311x 221 or 800-550-6070 x 221
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

we do sheet metal as well and have been dealing with this problem for years, every year to move up to the newest release and every year its the same.  its as if AutoDesk isn't even opening their e-mails, very tiresome I'm betting Autodesk is having some Killer parties, cause i'm not seeing any improvements in the sheet metal platform.  just loaded 2018 and its still "broke"  flat patterns turn to "hidden" lines and "sick" dimensions any time we adjust a part size.

Message 7 of 10
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi @Anonymous,

Just FYI, you've replied to a 13 1/2 year old post. It might be more productive to create a new post and explain your questions / issues, or visit the Inventor Idea Forum to share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/idb-p/v1232

Or join the beta program and get your feedback to Autodesk that way as well:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/inventor-beta-project-how-do-i-get-access/td-p/6010287

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

LOL
13-1/2 years and sheet metal still has the SAME problems now that they had then. Typical
And thanks for the reply

Tony Largin
CAD Operator / CAD Services, SAF Metal Fabrication
8370 Highway 78
Villa Rica, GA 30180
770-942-1207 Ext 411
770-942-4173 Fax
[SAF Metal Fabrication]
http//:www.SAF.com
Message 9 of 10
Curtis_Waguespack

@Anonymous wrote:
...13-1/2 years and sheet metal still has the SAME problems now that they had then. Typical

Hi @Anonymous,

I suspect it is specific to certain workflows, as most people do not have this issue when working with sheet metal parts as far as I know.

Typically, when we swap out any part for any other part that was not created via copying the original, dimensions are orphaned because the geometry references are different. But if you create a copy and modify that copy, then you can replace the references in a drawing and dimensions will remain healthy.

Again, please start a new thread with details of your specific workflow, and someone might be able to suggest some tips.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 10 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi! When drawing dimensions become sick, it usually means it could not find the anchor geometry. There are legitimate reasons. For example, the anchor geometry is missing or there is change in topology (an edge split into two). There are defective behaviors too. For example, the edge is not properly tagged and the name is lost.

It looks like you are having issue with sheet metal parts. Are these parts created in earlier release of Inventor originally and migrated to later release? Can the behavior be reproduced from scratch? Could you share an example here or send it to me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)? I would like to understand the behavior better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report