Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet Metal Fold

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Talayoe
392 Views, 5 Replies

Sheet Metal Fold

Hello all,

I am folding a part in the sheet metal enviornment, an 8" x 12" rectangle with 6 c'bore'd holes in the face. When I fold it right in the middle it actually pops the counterbored holes thru the part instead of folding it with the part. Not sure what I am doing wrong, but any help would be fantastico!

TIA! 🙂

-Randy

----------------------
Inventor 2017 PDS
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: Talayoe

@Talayoe wrote:

.... Not sure what I am doing wrong, 

Can you create the part in "as-bent" state and avoid Extrude and Fold commands?

Your Fold forms an angle of 32.068533310

is that what you really want?

Message 3 of 6
JDMather

Maybe something like this (see attached).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 6
Talayoe
in reply to: JDMather

TCW, I am honestly not sure what you mean by as-bent? Are you meaning to draw it bent and dimension each hole along the curve so it properly cuts?

JD, the part looks great even if I am completely lost with how you did it. My sheet metal environment knowledge is somewhat limited due to lack of use at this time. But thank you 🙂 I will compare to the manufactures specs and see how she looks.

Appreciate it fellows!

-Randy

----------------------
Inventor 2017 PDS
Message 5 of 6
JDMather

Forget you ever saw the Fold tool - it is almost always the incorrect tool to use (especially for a beginner).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi Randy,

Fold command assumes the bend zone is always cylindrical face without any deformation. It cannot handle cutouts or holes in the bend zone. To drill the holes, you will need to unfold it so you get the flat piece. Then drill the hole and refold it back. Please take a look at the attached file. I did not fix up the sick sketch. This is just showing you how to do that.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report