Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting or overriding Factor of safety

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Yashasvi23481
1995 Views, 5 Replies

Setting or overriding Factor of safety

Hi All,

I conducted a test on assembly with Factor of safety to be yield strength and when the results were produced it says min factor of safety is 0.07 or 0.09 for different force. Is there a way you can override or set Factor of safety to be 4 or 5 because that's suppose to be normal range for most material. When do create study, there are only 2 options for safety factor , yield strength and UTS. So to see real effect of force and when it breaks, need to have correct safety factor. 

With 0.07 its all blue which means no stress. Bottomline question is where can I set desired factor of safety ? if you indicate Factor of safety as Yield strength then whats 0.07 indicating ? I have slight idea but test results in FEA are confusing me. 

Please  help. 

Thanks and Regards,

Yash

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
MSD_takaseh
in reply to: Yashasvi23481

Hello Yash,
I might be not sure what you would like to know but please check if you applied a force/constraint to a edge or point.
Also check if the analisys is convergence from [Result] panel > [Convergence].
Thanks,

Hitoshi Takase
Message 3 of 6
Yashasvi23481
in reply to: MSD_takaseh

Hi Takaseh,

I am asking is, is there a way I can set safety factor to be 4 or 5 and then see resultant stress ? As far as convergence is concerned I have seen the plot. see attached. How do I read and analyse it ? why is max safety factor showing 15 all the time ?

Regards,

Yash

Message 4 of 6
MSD_takaseh

Hi Yash,
If you would like to change max value of safety factor then display Safety Factor > [Display] panel > [Color Bar] > Check [Maximum] off > Change value as you like.

Color bar.png
Thanks,

Hitoshi Takase
Message 5 of 6
Yashasvi23481
in reply to: MSD_takaseh

Hi Hitoshi,

I did update safety factor max value and min value. All it does is overwrite existing value. There is no change to coloring pattern after updating value. I changed min. safety factor to 3 instead of 0 and still same colours.

I was assuming by raising min safety factor to 3 I will get more affected zone. See attached pdf. Although bar says its 3 and 5, when I show min and max on the model, its saying 0.5 and 15 as max. 

Regards,

Yash

Message 6 of 6
MSD_takaseh

Hi Yash,
I don't think we can change label value as well unfortunately since Inventor has actual result value internally.
Thanks,

Hitoshi Takase

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report