Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second Crossection moment of inertia

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
209 Views, 5 Replies

Second Crossection moment of inertia

I'm trying to calculate the second moment of inertia of a crossection and the Iy is 0. Is there an accuracy setting or precision setting to obtain a number?

The crossection is attached. I want the moment of inertia about the green arrow in the picture which I believe is the Iy axis. Dimension units on sketch are inches.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi James,

Yes, the display precision is controlled by Document Settings. Go to Tools -> Document Settings -> Units -> Model Dimension Display -> change length display precision to the highest.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I changed the units to the max which is 5 decimal places in my inventor 2017 professional. My calculation result is 0. It appears I need more decimal places. Is there a way to increase?

Message 4 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi James,

I am sorry I am a bit confused. I thought changing display precision would work. I don't understand why it shows o. Could you share an example?

Many thank!

Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

There's a screen shot attached. The "Area Moments of Inertia with respect to Principal axes" Iy=0.

The part is thin. .012" thick x .93" wide with slight bend on each end. The Ix is calculating. Per geometry the Ix will be larger than the Iy. For what I am doing I wanted the Iy number. My intent is to change this profile in several ways and compare the Iy value to try and make a decision on the geometry.

Message 6 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! This looks more like a compute error than precision display error. Could you share the file here?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report