Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decal in non-shaded drawing view

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Simon22
724 Views, 9 Replies

Decal in non-shaded drawing view

I'd like to be able to show a decal's detail on an assembly drawing without having to shade the whole view.

In the attached image item 32 is a label but obviously only the outline is going to show on a non-shaded view.

Is there a work around to this?

Many thanks,

Simon

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
CCarreiras
in reply to: Simon22

Hi!

Just looking for the attached picture.... you can select the lines you don't want and set the visibility off them.

Without seeng the propper image, we can say more... 

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
Simon22
in reply to: CCarreiras

Thanks for the reply but that's not what I want to do. I want to see the detail of the decal.

Thanks,

Simon

Message 4 of 10
CCarreiras

Well... in that case you must have a rendered view.

Workaraound:

create a view representation with all parts white an set that view representation in the drawing view.

It works, i use this process sometimes.

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
CCarreiras
in reply to: CCarreiras
Message 6 of 10
mcgyvr

For that specific decal I would create it as a part and extrude the shapes/text,etc... so its not a decal at all..

I do that with 100% of our labels due to this limitation of Inventor.

Every one is done with sketch geometry and text extruded .001" so that it shows up in drawings/renderings,etc...

Same with silkscreens applied to our faceplates,etc...

I quickly saw the limitations of decals and ran from them as fast as I could before I fell down that hole..

May I also remind you and anyone else that I have submitted an idea request to allow decals to be shown in other views besides shaded..

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/show-decals-in-all-drawing-view-styles-not-just-shaded...

Please show your support by voting it up.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 10
jtylerbc
in reply to: mcgyvr

Added my vote to the idea.  Most of the time when I have decals, I'm planning on showing the views as Shaded anyway, so it isn't a problem.

We have a library of common label parts, which were created by adding decals of the label images from the supplier's website.  This was a great way to build the library quickly, looks great, and works fine in cases where we are shading the drawing views (which, as I mentioned, covers most of our uses).  In the rare case where I do actually need a line view, it's a significant problem that usually requires me to redraw the label as you described.

Would be great to have this resolved to give us more options for how to use this feature.

Message 8 of 10
SBix26

Possible workaround for you: overlay view.  Create View Representations in the assembly of the decal alone, and all the other parts without the decal.  Place a view in the drawing using the "all the other parts without the decal" VR, making it one of the line drawing types.  Create an overlay view using the "decal alone" VR, and setting the view type to Shaded.

This is not a perfect solution because lines of the two views show through each other.  But if your view happens to be pretty simple, with no features behind the decal, it works (at least in 2019).

Edit: this requires, of course, an assembly (no overlay view available for a part).  See example below:

Decal in non-shaded drawing view.png

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2019.3 | Windows 7 SP1
LinkedIn

Message 9 of 10
Simon22
in reply to: SBix26

Thanks for your help Sam @SBix26.

I think this is probably the right work around for me - if I can get it to work - it looks like the scale screws it up though (see attached image) and I can't create a detailed view of the overlay.

Capture.JPG

Hopefully it's something that will get looked at in future releases.

Regards,

Simon

Message 10 of 10
SBix26

Hmmm... that's not how it's working for me.  No matter what scale my view is, the decal still renders in good detail.  What scale is your drawing view?  Can you post the assembly/parts/image?

Decal in non-shaded drawing view 2.png

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2019.3 | Windows 7 SP1
LinkedIn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report