Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reset Origin

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
vmontefusco
11109 Views, 5 Replies

Reset Origin

Greetings

Someone sent a assembly and its parts and the assembly origin is not correct. I'd like the top of the attach screen shot part to correspond the top of the origin cube.

Thanks

Vince

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
johnsonshiue
in reply to: vmontefusco

Hi! Is the view orientation wrong or the parts are not in the X, Y, and Z you are expecting? If it is former, you can simply change ViewCube orientation. If it is latter, you need to use Direct Edit -> Body -> Rotate or Move Bodies command to transform the bodies.

Please feel free to attach the files here so forum experts can comment further.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 6
SBix26

@vmontefusco You can either re-define the view cube as Johnson suggested, or un-ground and reconstrain the assembly.  The latter works well if the assembly has one grounded part and the rest constrained to it and each other; impossible if everything is simply grounded without constraints, as might happen with an imported assembly, or with a top-down modeling approach.

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2019.0.0 | Windows 7 SP1
LinkedIn

Message 4 of 6
vmontefusco
in reply to: SBix26

Greetings and thank you for helping me!

"everything is simply grounded without constraints, as might happen with an imported assembly, or with a top-down modeling approach"

I brought the assembly in as an stp. It converted and I had a dozen or so parts for the assembly. The parts are NOT constrained, so I grounded all of the parts in the assembly in order to add my parts on top of this assembly. However, the assembly XYZ origin is not correct, especially when I bring in my parts to constrain to the assembly. I can live with this, but it would be nice if I could change the assembly to conform to the origin cube.

Thanks again

Vince

Message 5 of 6
SBix26

If the imported assembly isn't too complex, I would typically re-constrain it.

Another possibility is to leave the imported assembly as is, then place it, properly constrained and grounded, into a new assembly and add your new components to that one.

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2019.0.0 | Windows 7 SP1
LinkedIn

Message 6 of 6
vmontefusco
in reply to: SBix26

Greetings

It is too complex to constrain all of the parts, so I will simply live with what I have.

Thank you

Vince

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report