Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rendering Wireframe

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
cjackson9613
7587 Views, 15 Replies

Rendering Wireframe

I'm trying to create a "wireframe visible edges only" rendering. In a previous version you were able to rendering images in Inventor Studio through a drop down "Illustration". With the newer versions that drop down is gone. How are we able to make "Illustration" renderings without opening another software?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
chris
in reply to: cjackson9613

when you say "rendering" what do you mean by that?

Message 3 of 16
chris

you can use a "Lights-On" style, make sure transparency is turned off. Also, if you set your "color scheme" to (Presentation), and change to "1 Color" for your background, your model will look like line art against a white background.

Lights On-1.PNG

Lights On-2.PNG

Lights On-3.PNG

Message 4 of 16

Illustration.png

Message 5 of 16
cjackson9613
in reply to: chris

Environments tab-Inventor Studio-Render Image

There used to be a drop down (guessing 2014 version) that allowed you to create "Illustration" (wireframe visible edges only) renderings. This has been gone since 2015.

Message 6 of 16

I've already tried changing the visual styles. The image still comes out shaded.

Changing the appearance is not good practice. If there was a way before there should still be a way.

Message 7 of 16
chris

I believe Studio is built into Presentation files now... create an .ipn and explore that

Message 8 of 16
bob_holland

@cjackson9613

I believe that @TheCADWhisperer  is providing your best solution.

You can then use the Windows Snipping Tool to capture the image that then can be brought into your documentation.

By using TheCADWhisperer's solution I went from:

shaded.png

to

VS illustration.png 

Thank you. 

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 9 of 16
cjackson9613

I'm needing this image for detailed instructions. I need to be able to specify a certain size and quality. Do it through Invetor Studio-Render Image allows me to set these specifications. If I use the snip it tool I don't have that capability.
Message 10 of 16
johnsonshiue

Hi Christina,

If you use Snip It tool, the image size will depend on the screen resolution. It would be a bit tricky to control. You would have to change screen resolution to the desirable setting and then maximize the Inventor window -> View -> Clean Screen. And, then use Snip it to capture the screen.

Chris' workflow would help control image size more easily. Simply place the part in an assembly and save the assembly. Next, start a new ipn file and select the assembly. Set the Visual Style to Sketch Illustration. Create a new Snapshot View -> Raster -> Publish.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 16
cjackson9613
in reply to: johnsonshiue

So let me get this straight. Since there is no longer the easy drop down that was previously available. I now have to manipulate the appearance, background, and visual styles. Then I have to adjust my resolution settings to get the desired resolution settings. Use the snip it tool to get an image file. Which still won't allow me to adjust the image size without opening another software. After all that, I have to return all my setting back to normal. To be honest this is by far more work that it used to be.

Message 12 of 16
cjackson9613

I tried the IPN > New Snapshot View > Raster. This worked most of the way. I was able to insert the required size and resolution. Parts that were colored came in with colored lines. I was able to correct this through document setting > Display Appearance Setting > Model Edges: One Color. This is also where I was able to change the quality from low to high. This is probably the best solution. Not 100% okay with having to change the document setting instead of being able to make these adjustment within the "Raster" settings. But this was better than changing the appearance and I didn't have to open a second software.

Message 13 of 16
davis.j

For achieving the max resultion wireframe "render" with wireframe, visable edges only.

1. Set your colour scheme to presentation, 1 color, white.
  2. Set up view to capture. (DONT MOVE THE MOUSE)
  3. Settings, View, Visual Style, Wireframe, Visable Edges Only.
  4. File, Export, Image
  5. Choose PNG and go to options.
  6. Set width (X) to the max 10000, set the Height (Y) to whatever the correct Aspect ratio of the view. (Use a screencap tool to find out what the extents and dimension of the current view is. Then use online online Aspect ratio converter calculator to find the 10000 x ???? value)
  7. Make sure transparent background is toggled on.
  8. Hit save.

This method results in higher quility than simply screen caping. Most times for renders and pictorials you want the wireframe lines and shaded colours to blend in editing applications.

For quick low dpi scenerios the best options is to screen cap with Wireframe - Visble edges only. Then set the view to Realistic and turn on ray tracing with draft quality mode. (High takes too much time and still shows grainy quality if you zoom in.) The main issue is the resultion is limited to your desktop monitor resolution.

My prefered rending method for full color would be to intially do the steps above to get the wireframe lines. Then whilst not moving your screen, go into Inventor studio. Render image. Now the limitations are set to a max of 4000 width. 😞 (Please increase this Autodesk).  Make sure to go into output, save rendered image, select a location and hit options. Select 300 dpi and set alpha layer. Lighting is still broken so select draft mode (not high). 

You will have to experiment with iterations and time of render using Studio but I recommend to try 1000 iterations on large assemblies as a baseline. YMMV... experiment. You will also have to experiment with lighting styles.

Message 14 of 16
info45
in reply to: davis.j

Providing an option to render in wireframe mode just seems obvious to me. Providing a semi-transparent view also seems to make sense. Maya does this, and then lets you render out a hardware / screen view of your animation. Why cannot a software that specializes in industrial processes not be able to do this? Bad decision. 

Message 15 of 16

This topic is listed as "solved," but it is not actually solved. The proposed solutions are not renderings. I don't want to take a screen capture of the wireframe view, as that results in a very low-quality image. I simply cannot believe that there is no easy way to change the rendering to a wireframe or sketch view. It truly is mind boggling. 

Message 16 of 16
davis.j
in reply to: Phil_McDonough

@Phil_McDonough I recommend using the export image option. you can do alpha background transparency. Just make sure your render view size is scaled up with the same aspect ratio and max 10000dim. (Photos)

davisj_0-1716483425462.pngdavisj_1-1716483433774.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report