Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pattern along a 3D curve or geometry in assembly

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
MikeLA7KX
1704 Views, 13 Replies

Pattern along a 3D curve or geometry in assembly

Im trying to pattern along a piece of gemotry in an assembly and having trouble. Can anyone advise the best method for this as i cannot get it to work. I would upload the files but they are pretty large.

I have attached an image. At the moment my circular pattern is based off the axis, however the spiral also goes up which i am unable to replicate in a pattern.

I have tried various patterns in a part and assembly and still cant figure out how i can achieve what i want. I basically want the first part to pattern around the curve.

TIA

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
CCarreiras
in reply to: MikeLA7KX

HI!

I would create a coil in a part and create a pattern thru the coil geometry.

In assembly, select the part pattern to create an assembly pattern.

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 14
JDMather

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 14
MikeLA7KX
in reply to: CCarreiras

Thanks for your reply but i cant get it to work.

It wont let me pick the geometry in an assembly.

A pack and go is about 1.1gb so dont really want to upload.

Message 5 of 14
JDMather

@MikeLA7KX wrote:

A pack and go is about 1.1gb so dont really want to upload.

You are probably using the wrong settings and including a bunch of extraneous stuff, but if it really really is that large - then simply make up a small dummy assembly that exhibits the desired behavior.

P and G.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 6 of 14
MikeLA7KX
in reply to: JDMather

No the file is big.

It has a .iam that has been saved from a .sat file so has 1000's of parts.

Ive attached the coil part.... I have put that part in to my assembly. Cant select any geometry.

Message 7 of 14
JDMather

@MikeLA7KX wrote:

Ive attached the coil part.... I have put that part in to my assembly. Cant select any geometry.

You did not Attach your assembly *.iam file here.

You did not Attach the *.ipt file of the Component that you wish to Pattern.

Your Coil part file works fine for me when I place into an assembly and attempt a Component Pattern, but I would have done your Coil differently.

First I would have fully constrained Sketch1.

I would have used a simple line rather than a circle such that the result is a surface body rather than a solid body.

Change your Browser to Modeling rather than Assembly, and then you can select your Rectangular Pattern from the Coil part directly in the browser.

Select Rectangular Pattern.png

Message 8 of 14
johnsonshiue

Hi Mike,

Are you trying to pattern assembly feature along 3D curve? Or, pattern components along 3D curve? These are two totally different workflows.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 14
MikeLA7KX
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Im trying a couple of things which i think im getting confused with.

Im trying to pattern along the 3D curve (the coil) which i have kinda done in one part file.

I then need to use that coil geometry to pattern other parts in an assembly.

The advice above still doesnt work when switching to modeling tab in an assembly. I dont have any patterns in the assembly which i assume is why it doesnt work.

Message 10 of 14
MikeLA7KX

Nevermind - can actually select the patterns now! weird..

Message 11 of 14
JDMather

@MikeLA7KX wrote:

I don't have any patterns in the assembly which i assume is why it doesnt work.

I guess you have figured this out, but the pattern is not in the assembly.

In the image in Message 7 you should see that I drilled down to the part level within the assembly browser to find the part level feature pattern.  It is a bit hidden workflow, but works every time.

Message 12 of 14
Tom_Sturtevant
in reply to: JDMather

JDMather is correct that you need to select the part’s pattern in the browser in this case because the pattern only contains work features.  If the associated part pattern has real geometry you can select it in the scene (or in the browser).

One other tip – if you want the Assembly pattern occurrences to be oriented based on the curvature of the path you need to specify Orientation = Direction1 in the extended portion of the pattern dialog when creating the part level pattern of work points.

assemblyPattern.png

Hope that helps!

T.0.M.

Tom Sturtevant
Inventor Part Modeling Developer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 13 of 14
Hunteil

Bravo! This is exactly what I was looking for!!! 👏
This was extremely hard to find btw guys. Me and the guys at my company have been looking for this solution for over a year and kept coming to solutions using other methods that don't meet our needs. This is perfect for Spiral stairs & similar structures like that. I want to also say this method was crazy hard to figure out until I found this. I was actually hunting for an Idea post for easier patterns for helical / spiral assemblies at the assembly level instead of at the .ipt. I guess this will do lol.

Helical Curve1.jpg

Solution for TTLD folks:

1. Make .ipt, create 3d Sketch.
  2. Place Helical Curve.
  3. Finish Sketch.
  4. Place Work Point at start of Helical Curve.
  5. Use Pattern>Rectangular.
  6. Select curve. Expand the arrows. Pick Compute, Direction, and Orientation as needed. Mainly if you want the part to rotate as it rotates around the spiral rise / pitch / revolution.
  7. Save and create a new .iam.
  8. Place the new .ipt w/the pattern inside it.
  9. Place another part that you want to pattern.
  10. Constrain to the very first point. (you can apply more later.)
  11. Click the Pattern tool.
  12. Now the tricky part. In the Assembly browser like message 7 shows from JDMather. Click the Modeling button to display all the modeling features for each component.
  13. Click the Pattern you want to follow. (Again as shown in message 7.)
  14. Done that's it! Not much you can do in the assembly for editing the pattern. The modifications will need to happen at the .ipt file per step 6.

I hope this helps others also confused on this topic. Thank you @JDMather .

If anyone wants to vote on a possible improvement, please check out this idea: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/spiral-helical-curve-pattern-in-assembly/idi-p/1219407...

Model States is not a replacement for iParts / iAssemblies. It does not have all the same features yet and does not communicate well with our large currently in use libraries. 😞 https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/model-state-support-tabulated-parts-list/idc-p/11360616

Message 14 of 14
rwilliamsCL9QS

Thanks for doing the work on this.  I was able to utilize this to show products flowing up/down a spiral conveyor, and your instructions got me there.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report