Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improving the flange command

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
fridtjofZM5ME
372 Views, 5 Replies

Improving the flange command

Why is it that we are allowed to select multiple groups of edges to apply flanges to, represented by individual rows in the command dialogue, but aren't allowed define different values for the different rows?

FlangeCmd.png

Say you want four flanges around the edge of a square, but you want one of them to be a different height than the other three? As of now, this requires me to apply three flanges first, then add the fourth with the different height in a second feature node, and THEN apply two nodes with the Corner Seam command to make the corners look like the other two corners.

This seems very excessive, as the whole thing could have been done with one flange node, had the flange command allowed different values for different rows.

Obviously, this is an improvement I would very much like to see in the next release come spring 2024, so vote me up if you agree...

Labels (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Lars_Greft
in reply to: fridtjofZM5ME

Suggested improvements can best be added to the idea station board, instead of the Inventor Forum.

Link to submit an idea: Idea station  

Message 3 of 6
blandb

Then you would potentially need all the options available for each flange such as bend position, height datum options, etc. The dialog box would be kind of a mess at that point? Because "what if" one flange needs a different bend position, then the other needs its height calc'd a different way, and then one needs its angle not 90, but something else, or even not an angle by value but by reference geometry?

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 4 of 6
fridtjofZM5ME
in reply to: blandb

Not really. If neatly designed with the dialogue options in columns, and the groups of equals in rows, simply by elaborating on the existing table, I think it could be feasible. I tend to like getting the intended results with the fewest possible entries in the model tree, as that makes life a lot easier if applying any iLogic or something like that afterwards.

Message 5 of 6

@fridtjofZM5ME wrote:

I tend to like getting the intended results with the fewest possible entries in the model tree

If those flanges are different, I'll add feature for each.

Easier to see which one I need to edit.

With 20 different flanges in one flange feature, it'll be difficult.

Also if any of them cause problems, corner join, mate, good luck finding it.

And ModelState, easier to control (suspend, size) different features instead of one.

Let the tree grow, don't cut it down 😉

Message 6 of 6
pcrawley

@fridtjofZM5ME - I strongly recommend you register yourself on https://feedback.autodesk.com/ 

Once there, you'll be bound by a non-disclosure agreement, but it will be worth it.

Peter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report