Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some direction . . .

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
nick.seman
505 Views, 15 Replies

Need some direction . . .

I would like to take a solid and place x (variable) number of work planes / sketches on y (variable) interval along one of its dimensions.  Each sketch would have an outline graphic created by the "Project Cut Edges" command on it.  Though use of a Form I would be able to change the x and y values.   I can use the Rectangular Pattern command to array the work plane but not the sketch.  Any way to automate this short of writing code ?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
SharkDesign
in reply to: nick.seman

Show what you have got so far, your description is hard to understand. 

Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional
Message 3 of 16
j.palmeL29YX

@nick.seman wrote:

automate this short of writing code ?

IMHO not possible without of programming. 

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 16
mcgyvr

I too am a bit confused as to what you want..

Can you post a part file where you have started this manually?

Sometimes I find its also best to post specifics about the problem you are actually trying to solve/task you are attempting to achieve and not just what you think the solution should be.  Like what is all of these workplanes/sketches for.. what are you hoping to achieve with them once created.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 16
nick.seman
in reply to: mcgyvr

Hello - 

Thanks for responding.  Hopefully this will clear up my intent.

Say I have a lofted shape and I need a series of cross sections illustrating the limits of the shape.  I have attached a simple model with three sections.

What I would like to do is to via a form, input the number of sections I would like and the distance between them and have Inventor create that number of workplanes\sketches for me.  For example I may want 20 sections at height/(20 +1) interval.

Thanks;

Nick

Message 6 of 16
SharkDesign

Are they all the same spacing?

You could just do that with a pattern. 

Expert Elite
Message 7 of 16
nick.seman
in reply to: SharkDesign

From what I can see a pattern will only allow me to replicate the work plane - not the sketch that is on it.  I could use the pattern command as desired and have all the work planes I need but would then need to manually create the sketch on each.  Hoping to do this automatically.

Nick

Message 8 of 16
SharkDesign

Why would you want to duplicate the sketch? Your would just get the same
profile. You might as well just extrude it one the first place.

Expert Elite
Message 9 of 16
nick.seman

The purpose of the individual work planes/sketches is to have a cross section of the body at each location that will ultimately be exported to another application.  If you move the work plane in the sample drawing I supplied, the sketch updates the cross-section automatically.

Currently the process is to manually create each work plane, manually create a sketch on each work plane, and then manually run the Project Cut Edges on each sketch.  I want to automate that process.  I may have 500 cross sections to create, I don't want to do that manually.

Message 10 of 16
mcgyvr

Well isn't that interesting...graphics glitch what....  NFT available soon 😁

mcgyvr_0-1631290397638.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 11 of 16
SharkDesign

Sorry, you explained all that in your first post, I was getting confused with another one I'd read about lofting.

Without using iLogic (and I don't know if you can) there's no way to do this that I can think of.

Expert Elite
Message 12 of 16
nick.seman

I pretty much have arrived at the same conclusion.  Thanks to everyone who has looked at and considered my question.

Nick

Message 13 of 16
JDMather

@nick.seman wrote:

... that will ultimately be exported to another application. 

@nick.seman 

Section Analysis is so close...

JDMather_0-1631298673208.png

to what you are after.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 14 of 16
nick.seman
in reply to: JDMather

J.D. - you are not kidding that is so close . . .

If I could only take those outside boundary lines and change them into 3D sketches I would be set.

Thanks;

Nick

Message 15 of 16
johnsonshiue

Hi Nick,

I believe there are ways to do this. To create uneven spaced workplanes, you can create a 2D/3D sketch with uneven spaced points. Then populate the workplane at the points using Sketch Driven Pattern.

Regarding Project Cut Edges, you can create a 3D Sketch and then use Intersection Curve command to create such curves between the workplanes and the Loft body.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 16 of 16
j.palmeL29YX

@nick.seman wrote:

... and change them into 3D sketches 

Why 3D sketches? 

As far as I understand you're looking for 2D sketches on each of the workplanes (?).

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report