Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modeling question - Using a 3D solid as a sweep tool?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
659 Views, 9 Replies

Modeling question - Using a 3D solid as a sweep tool?

Hi there.

I’m trying to model the machining detail into a cylindrical part.

Basically I need to do a sweep feature, but rather than using a 2D sketch, I need the sweep “tool” to be a 3D shape.

If you skip to 1:38 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3IQv9mT6JU , that’s very similar to the type of machining I need to model for, but with the tool only going to a certain depth into a solid rod.

I'm (hopefully) attaching a screenshot/explanation, and the part.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Felix

edit:

(offset, split, then thicken won't work, as the edges of the cut aren't then parallel as they would be in real life)

(standard sweep wont work, as there are no radiuses so the corners go weird)

Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
-niels-
in reply to: Anonymous

Welcome to the community!

There is an already accepted idea for this:
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/new-feature-sweep-solid/idi-p/5333169

So i guess it's waiting for it to be implemented.
Hopefully someone else can help with how you could do it now, as i'm at the end of my day.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: -niels-

Thanks for the reply.

That's good to know, but not so good that it was proposed 5 years ago, accepted 3 years ago, and nothing's happened with it yet.

I have now managed to bodge it, but it's a complete mess of a feature tree, if anyone can advise on a better way to do it that'd be great!

Message 4 of 10
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

That's good to know, but not so good that it was proposed 5 years ago, accepted 3 years ago, and nothing's happened with it yet.

Ha ha.. so cute You must be new here.. Smiley Wink

There is a link at the top of this forum where you can become a beta tester to see new functionality and to have some involvement in that process and to see whats coming in the near future.. Smiley Wink

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 10
TheCADWhisperer

@Anonymouswrote:

... if anyone can advise on a better way to do it that'd be great!

It can be done, but the set-up is a bit of work. (But not terribly difficult.)

If I can find the time - I will create solution geometry this weekend.

Message 6 of 10
SteveMDennis

I would encourage you to join the Beta as mgyvr said. This is something we have been actively working on. It almost made it into 2019 but the quality was not there so we are continuing to improve the algorithm every day. I am personally involved in this project and hope to see its release in the coming year.

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: SteveMDennis

Thanks for the help everyone.

I have requested to join the beta, so will report back if/when I get accepted.

Thanks

Message 8 of 10
SteveMDennis

@Anonymous

Please remember that the beta program is under NDA. The beta has its own forums where you are free to discuss the new designs with us. You are not allowed to discuss things you see in the beta program here.

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: SteveMDennis

@SteveMDenniswrote:

@Anonymous

Please remember that the beta program is under NDA. The beta has its own forums where you are free to discuss the new designs with us. You are not allowed to discuss things you see in the beta program here.

In which case I won't report back! Thanks.

Message 10 of 10
IgorMir

Hi Felix,

Here is a model for you to have a look at. In IV2018 format. I am sure - there is some room for improvement. But in a meantime - that's all I have got so far. The design presumptions were that the groove is cut with the slot mill cutter and the bar is a solid one. So, the bottom line of the slot in any given section is a straight one.

Best Regards,

Igor.

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi there.

I’m trying to model the machining detail into a cylindrical part.

Basically I need to do a sweep feature, but rather than using a 2D sketch, I need the sweep “tool” to be a 3D shape.

If you skip to 1:38 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3IQv9mT6JU , that’s very similar to the type of machining I need to model for, but with the tool only going to a certain depth into a solid rod.

I'm (hopefully) attaching a screenshot/explanation, and the part.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Felix

edit:

(offset, split, then thicken won't work, as the edges of the cut aren't then parallel as they would be in real life)

(standard sweep wont work, as there are no radiuses so the corners go weird)

Web: www.meqc.com.au

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report