Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measuing intersection points while in Ordinate command

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Carlos.Malone
926 Views, 7 Replies

Measuing intersection points while in Ordinate command

CarlosMalone_0-1632407209336.png

When dimensioning using the ordinate command, can you select the the intersection of two lines?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
emanuel.c
in reply to: Carlos.Malone

Yes I think you should be able to.

Sometimes if the ordinate dimensions don't follow the line I wish them to follow, I create a sketch and add a tiny line (hardly visible on the drawing) perpendicular to the line I want the ordinate dimension to follow. I exit the sketch and then create the ordinate dimensions based on that tiny line. If the intersection doesn't work for some reason you could create a point there by way of sketch, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Message 3 of 8
Carlos.Malone
in reply to: emanuel.c

ਊ⌣汐慥敳琠灹⁥潹牵爠灥祬愠潢敶琠楨⁳楬敮ⴠ⌣
Sent from Mail for Windows

Yes that would work but I was trying to eliminate the extra step of drawing an extra sketch on a print just to measure a point. If I was using the regular dimension command I can pick a line or point then go to the perceived intersection and right-click to select the intersect option. I was hoping to be able to do the same in the ordinate command. Drawing another sketch to measure a point that it measures in one dimensioning feature and not another is a tad bit cumbersome.
Message 4 of 8
SharkDesign

In ordinate you have to trace the lines. So whilst in the dimension command you run your cursor over one line and then then over the other and trace to where the intersection would be, then it gives you the option. 

Video here:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-t...

Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional
Message 5 of 8
SBix26

With ordinate dimensions, you should be able to place one to an intersection of two lines by simply swiping on one, then the other, and finding the point where the dotted extension lines are both lit up.  However, the ability to do this while placing the dimension depends on this setting in Application Options:

Ordinate Geometry Selection.png

With this option selected, you pick geometry (lines, arcs, etc.) and Inventor automatically adds dimensions to the key points of those geometric items.  With it unchecked, you pick individual points or lines.

If you want to select intersections while placing the dimensions, you will need to leave this option unchecked.  But you can always move ordinate dimensions to intersections after the fact.  The great thing about dimensioning to intersections (rather than to sketch points) is that Inventor provides the extensions to the intersection point, you don't have to sketch them.

Ordinate Dimension Virtual Intersection.png

Edit: I see @SharkDesign beat me to the answer, but the video and text in the knowledge base article are not quite correct: you can drag existing dimensions to intersections (you don't have to delete/add); and if the option above is unchecked, you can do all the intersections at first placement.

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2022.1.1 | Windows 10 Home 20H2
LinkedIn
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Message 6 of 8
Carlos.Malone
in reply to: SharkDesign

That works when using the regular dimension command, but when I chose ordinate it only gives me the beginning and endpoint of the radius.
[cid:image002.png@01D7B06D.660D9910]
In the regular dimension command it picks the intersection.
[cid:image004.png@01D7B06D.53A40160]
This is what it does in the ordinate command.

I am using the 2019 version of Inventor.
Message 7 of 8
Carlos.Malone
in reply to: SBix26

Thanks, that works like I was expecting it to. Appreciate the help.

Message 8 of 8

Appreciate the suggestions from everyone, I started out with Solidworks in school and the first couple of companies I worked for. This is my first time having to use Inventor so I'm trying to navigate through the differences without any help. I'll probably be visiting the forum frequently.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report