Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Materials Library: I want more

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
Anonymous
5011 Views, 23 Replies

Materials Library: I want more

I am not impressed with the selection of materials in the library in Inventor Professional 9.

They have good choices, but I need much more.

Where can I download (for free) more materials to add to my library?

I have search using Google on the Web and the Autodesk Website and came up with nothing.

Anyone know where I can get new materials libraries? I really don't want to manually add materials to the list.

Thanks in advance.
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

try www.matweb.com -- Kent Keller http://www.KWiKMcad.com Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator "hotzelj" wrote in message news:26947515.1102203210079.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... >I am not impressed with the selection of materials in the library in >Inventor Professional 9. > > They have good choices, but I need much more. > > Where can I download (for free) more materials to add to my library? > > I have search using Google on the Web and the Autodesk Website and > came up with nothing. > > Anyone know where I can get new materials libraries? I really don't > want to manually add materials to the list. > > Thanks in advance.
Message 3 of 24
Anonymous

Could not find anything except for a listing of various material properties. They don't have an actual material library for Inventor.
Message 4 of 24
Anonymous

I think Charles has some on his site www.cbliss.com ... other than that you would have to create your own. -- Kent Keller http://www.KWiKMcad.com Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator "hotzelj" wrote in message news:12289941.1102214058167.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Could not find anything except for a listing of various material > properties. They don't have an actual material library for Inventor.
Message 5 of 24
Anonymous

Thank you
Message 6 of 24
Anonymous

http://www.cbliss.com/inventor/Materials/index.htm I don't have any actual material defnitions. You would need to create them. iAssemblyTools has a link to MatWeb and Granta. If people want to submit materials to me, I will gladly post them. This would now be in XML format but IPT files would be good for pre R9. Kent Keller wrote: >I think Charles has some on his site www.cbliss.com ... other than that >you would have to create your own. > > >
Message 7 of 24
Anonymous

Great site. Thanks.
Message 8 of 24
Anonymous

Yep. Great site!.
And to make it even better, after you have made new material descriptions, iParts or something, be sure to send them to Charles, so he can add them to his site.
Message 9 of 24
Anonymous

just visit www.viratsteels.com  :-  here in product list you all type tool steel material

Message 10 of 24
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

Do you realize this posting is 12 years old?   Things have changed..  Smiley Wink

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 11 of 24

@Mark.Lancaster wrote:

@Anonymous

Do you realize this posting is 12 years old?   Things have changed..  Smiley Wink

This post is now 19 years old. Same old, same old - still looking for a comprehensive materials list. Something with common European Steels, like S355JR and S235.

The problem with the usual 'create your own' cop out is finding a reliable, trusted, coherent resource with all the necessary material properties listed in units that are acceptable in Inventor.

I don't believe one exists.

Message 12 of 24

"Create your own" is not a cop-out!  Everyone designing in a production environment should create their own materials so that the names match their company's or client's material names, as well as suppliers' properties.

In any case, for materials not provided in the Autodesk libraries, I routinely use MatWeb.  A quick search for "S355JR" came up with three hits:

SBix26_0-1687871979774.png

Sam B

Inventor Pro 2024.0.1 | Windows 10 Home 22H2
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Message 13 of 24

@Oliver.PearsonPV69C wrote:

The problem with the usual 'create your own' cop out is finding a reliable, trusted, coherent resource with all the necessary material properties listed in units that are acceptable in Inventor.

Exactly.

It depend on what the user need.

Most just need density and weight.

Some need tensile and yield.

Some need elasticity, elongation, poisson ratio.

Some need even more.

Some just use Generic for everything.

Same material at different shape, thickness, tempering has different strength.

Some supplier has their "special" tempering with different properties.

I'll rather AutoDesk spend time and money in developing IV then chasing down ever changing material spec.

And yes, I've been adding materials to my library since R5.3

Message 14 of 24

@SBix26 wrote:

"Create your own" is not a cop-out!  Everyone designing in a production environment should create their own materials so that the names match their company's or client's material names, as well as suppliers' properties.

If this was true then no one would ever be able to order anything with any confidence from a subcontractor or metals supplier. If I spec S355JR then I know any subby will deliver what I want. Likewise if I spec 431S29 and a subby phones to ask what material it is; I would know not to deal with them.

Thank you for the matweb link - its a resource I often look at. However if you were to compare their entries for 355 and 235 you'll notice that the properties neither tally with each other or are comprehensive enough to sufficiently populate Inventor materials dialogue boxes.

Message 15 of 24

@Frederick_Law wrote:

Exactly.

It depend on what the user need.

Most just need density and weight.

Some need tensile and yield.

Some need elasticity, elongation, poisson ratio.

Some need even more.

Some just use Generic for everything.

Same material at different shape, thickness, tempering has different strength.

Some supplier has their "special" tempering with different properties.

I'll rather AutoDesk spend time and money in developing IV then chasing down ever changing material spec.

And yes, I've been adding materials to my library since R5.3

I'm struggling to think of any industry where an engineering designer would only be interested in density and weight, let alone 'most' of them.

In any case, having all the data attached to material wouldn't ever be a hinderance; in would however save a lot of time and effort in having to research it all.

Message 16 of 24
Frederick_Law

Why do they need to know more?

Most are standardized.

Only need to calculate when you push the limits.

What are you doing that need possion ratio?

Who used possion ratio in their design?

Message 17 of 24

@Frederick_Law wrote:

Why do they need to know more?

Most are standardized.

Only need to calculate when you push the limits.

What are you doing that need possion ratio?

Who used possion ratio in their design?

Why would a designer need to know the difference between 316 s/steel and cast iron? Both have pretty much the same mass and density. Or the difference between 5082 and 7075? I would say everything I've ever designed requires more than just mass and density!

Do I need Poisson's ratio right now? No. But I can guarantee you that someone somewhere does. And if it was included in the Inventor Materials database the it would save that person the time looking it up.

What I need is to be able to quickly compare various similar materials to see which is the most suitable for a particular design. Can it be lighter? Can it be stronger? Nothing has been designed that can't be improved.

Message 18 of 24

Why would a designer need to know the difference between 316 s/steel and cast iron? Both have pretty much the same mass and density. Or the difference between 5082 and 7075? I would say everything I've ever designed requires more than just mass and density!

Do I need Poisson's ratio right now? No. But I can guarantee you that someone somewhere does. And if it was included in the Inventor Materials database the it would save that person the time looking it up.

What I need is to be able to quickly compare various similar materials to see which is the most suitable for a particular design. Can it be lighter? Can it be stronger? Nothing has been designed that can't be improved.

Great.

Do your own research, don't trust anything any CAD software put in their library.

Build your own library with info you can trust.

It's great you can design with whatever material you want.

Not much to choose with i-Beam.

I could use some 4140 Rc55 beam if I could find them.

Message 19 of 24
3D4Play
in reply to: Frederick_Law

I read that as "replace the stock Autodesk libraries (they are useless), with your own custom libraries that are (only useful to you)." Out of the box customization is certainly an Inventor feature; it's the single most expensive element of TCO. I'd be happy if Autodesk published a definitive user manual on how to develop custom content.

Message 20 of 24

@Frederick_Law wrote:

Great.

Do your own research, don't trust anything any CAD software put in their library.

Build your own library with info you can trust.

It's great you can design with whatever material you want.

Not much to choose with i-Beam.

I could use some 4140 Rc55 beam if I could find them.

I'm paid to design. Other people are paid to research materials. If I'm to spend my time researching materials and building databases then I'm not doing my job.

Inventor is supposed to help me design. It is missing information to help me to do that.

Its like buying a hammer to knock in nails only to find you need to fit your own handle first.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report