Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LOD - advise

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
236 Views, 2 Replies

LOD - advise

Hello,

I have a Assembly File (Valve) containing 15 parts. When i create a new Assembly file sometimes i insert this Assembly File (valve) into that new environment as it saves me making a new assembly each time.

When i insert the Valve Assembly into another Assembly file i Suppress 2 parts every time from the Valve Assembly. I will use the same 13 out of the 15 parts in many other Assemblies.

Now the question: When i go to save the new Assembly File with the Valve Assembly inserted (2 Suppressed Parts) it asks me to name the LOD and then it saves....Is this correct procedure and are there any disadvantages to Suppressing Parts in an Assembly so as to use in another Assembly?

Sure saves a lot of time as i just Suppress the 2 Parts when placing into another Assembly and i can then just Mate other parts where the 2 Suppressed parts use to be visible.

Regards,,

Joe

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

LOD is intended for memory management only.

Its so you can unload specific parts from memory to make working with that assembly faster..

Its not intended to be used as it seems you are

I'll assume that in the real world you are using that assembly to actually represent 2 different assemblies.. (and should have 2 different part numbers in your system)

1 having all 15 parts and one with only 13 parts..

If so the correct procedure would be to convert that assembly into an iassembly and create 2 members..

1 with all parts and the other with only the 13 parts.. (set the other 2 parts to be "Exclude" vs "Include") from the Exclusion tab of the iassy dialog..

Then when you place that assembly into a new assembly it asks you to select which member you want (either 13 or 15 parts)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 3
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: mcgyvr

@Anonymous

In addition to @mcgyvr information..  You could have a template assembly with everything and than use iLogic to control what the information is suppose to look like and then have it saved as a new assembly when done.   You have options...  Smiley Wink

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report