Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to make V groove in sheet metal using flange command?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
2084 Views, 8 Replies

Is it possible to make V groove in sheet metal using flange command?

We have this cladding that 10mm thick. Using standard bend will result big radius, so we use v groove to minimize. How can we make this v groove using standard sheet metal commands like flange, etc... Please see the image below. Thank you.V GROOVE.JPG

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

You cannot accomplish that utilizing just the flange commands..

You can extrude that shape later but often times you will run into problems with the flat pattern command and getting accurate flat pattern dimensions.. So you have to decide whats important to you and what you can live with..

Quite a few have proposed workarounds from modeling the part in the as grooved material thickness to modeling it full material thickness and modifying the bend tables to get close to just including a note on the drawing about the grooving and not modeling anything to manually adding the vgroove to the flat pattern to more and more..

In general Autodesk Inventor does not really have a proven/reliable process for this somewhat uncommon practice.

A google search for "Autodesk Inventor V-grooving" will yield a bunch of posts/topics about it.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! I have seen similar requests before. Inventor does not support such groove using sheet metal workflows. The bend zone needs to have consistent thickness. One thing you can try is this. You can model the sheet metal part at 10mm thickness without the V-groove. Then derive the part as another sheet metal part. Create the V-groove using Extrusion Cut. For flat pattern, go back to the original part and make the flat pattern. And, cut the V-groove in flat pattern accodingly.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 9
IgorMir

With a bit of a planning it is not a problem at all. Here is how. Please see attached file. IV2020 format.

Cheers,

Igor.

@Anonymous wrote:

We have this cladding that 10mm thick. Using standard bend will result big radius, so we use v groove to minimize. How can we make this v groove using standard sheet metal commands like flange, etc... Please see the image below. Thank you.V GROOVE.JPG

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

@IgorMir, can this be done without extruding the groove through the flat pattern?

Message 6 of 9
IgorMir

Hi Randall,

It wouldn't make sense, I afraid. 
You will get a Flat Pattern, based on the thickness of the material. And if the material is 16mm Thk. - the outer radius of the bend (minimal one) will be 16.01, for example. And the overall size of the flat material won't be what's needed.
That's why you have to work out what the minimal outside radius you want to get first. And that, in turn - will control the minimal thickness of the sheet metal. I hope - it is understood.

Cheers,

Igor.

@Anonymous wrote:

@IgorMir, can this be done without extruding the groove through the flat pattern?

Message 7 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi Folks,

I believe Model States may help this particular case without having to create two parts. You can create two Model States. One has the cladding but one does not have it (suppressed). In the Flat Pattern, create the cladding in the reverse order.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 9
IgorMir
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi Johnson,

What two parts are you talking about? All the OP wanted was to get a smallest outside radiuses on a folded thick part.
It is fairly straight forward modeling, as far as I am concerned. And I had offered a sample part to the OP.

Cheers,

Igor.

@johnsonshiue wrote:

Hi Folks,

I believe Model States may help this particular case without having to create two parts. You can create two Model States. One has the cladding but one does not have it (suppressed). In the Flat Pattern, create the cladding in the reverse order.

Many thanks!

Message 9 of 9
officeCTLBL
in reply to: IgorMir

fckng genius mate, thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report