Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iParts (or What SolidWorks Calls "Configurations")

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
1691 Views, 3 Replies

iParts (or What SolidWorks Calls "Configurations")

Hello Folks,

Longtime SolidWorks user...

I have an Inventor part where I would like to create what SolidWorks calls 2 "configurations": Configuration 1 (Short") will have extruded cut A suppressed and extruded cut B unsuppresed. Configuration 2 (Long) will have extruded cut A unsuppressed and extruded cut B suppressed.

It's that simple.

I am aware Inventor has a table-driven iParts deal. I cannot figure-out how to get what I want.

How do I get a configurable part I want?

Mel

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

Create your part file and save it..

Then.. manage tab.. author section click on "Create ipart"

A table should open up.. (the ipart author table)..

Create 2 members in the lower section..

Go to the "suppression" tab

Find those features you want to suppress and double click on them to add those columns to the members below..

Then change the data in that column to "suppress" or "compute" and then click ok..

A new node in the model browser will show up (Table) near the top.. Expand it.. Select both members and right click and select "generate members"..

Now you should be able to double click on those 2 members in the table section and see your model update..

and each of those can be placed into an assembly or whatever..

Thats the "basics"... You can also perform suppression,etc.. outside of the ipart table.. after you have created your members by activating one of them and then changing to "edit member scope" instead of "edit factory scope (this is accessible in the manage tab/author section again).. Then you can suppress features in the model browser vs doing it through the table..

That should get you going..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 4
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi melvin.burk,

In order to prevent someone from spending time creating an example that you can not open, it's best to state the version of Inventor that you are using.

In your case I know that it's Inventor 2013 from a previous thread.

To the ipart question:

1. Create Cut A, then suppress it, then create Cut B (this is prevents the error that occurs if both cut occupy the same space, and the 2nd would end up cutting nothing).
  2. Now create the iPart table ( Manage tab > Create iPart button).
  3. Note that because Cut A is suppressed a column is automatically added to control it's suppression state.
  4. In the iPart table click the Suppression tab
  5. In the Suppression tab double click CutB to add a column to control it's suppression state.
  6. Next add a new row by clicking on row 1 and choosing Insert Row.
  7. In the new row set suppression states for Cut A and Cut B to be opposite of row 1.
  8. Click OK and the table will be created in the browser.
  9. Expand the iPart Table node and use the children nodes to change between the 2 configurations.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Basic iPart table.JPG

Message 4 of 4
mcgyvr
in reply to: mcgyvr

In Inventor we have a single file called the "factory" and the "configurations" are called "members"..

When you generate the members individual part files are created in a separate folder but you never need to open/access them..

When you want any of the members in an assembly you place the "factory" file into the assembly and it will let you choose which member you want..

You never place or need to open or anything those member files in the member folder.. 

EVERYTHING is done through the "factory" file..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report