Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPart/iAssembly switching between member in Factory file is very slow.

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
A.Acheson
737 Views, 8 Replies

iPart/iAssembly switching between member in Factory file is very slow.

Inventor Release:

Build 373,Release 2020.3.4, 64Bit Edition, Inventor 2020

Windows spec installed:
Windows10 Version 2004 installed 07/Dec 2020

Excel 2016

As shown in the attached videos, switching of iPart is approx 6 secs and the iAssembly is 30secs with Member Qty 14. Any thoughts on how the speed can be improved. It is making for tediously slow updating. 

Also when placing the iPart member in an assembly. Placement is fine but if I go to change the member the dialogue box showing the keys takes 15 secs to appear for the first time any subsequent change member it takes  1 sec. 

Any Thoughts greatly appreciated. 

If this solved a problem, please click (accept) as solution.‌‌‌‌
Or if this helped you, please, click (like)‌‌
Regards
Alan
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
mcgyvr
in reply to: A.Acheson

Can you post the ipt file?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 9
A.Acheson
in reply to: mcgyvr

@mcgyvr 

Here you go.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Alan
Message 4 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi Alan,

I am not seeing the behavior on 2021.2 update. Try the following and see if it makes a difference.

1) Close Inventor.

2) Go to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Environment Variable -> set "UseLibXL" to "False"

3) Start Inventor.

Does it work faster now?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! The quickest way is probably Redefine (right-click on the sketch -> Redefine -> select the same reference plane). Or, try copy the sketch and paste it to the same plane.

Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 9
A.Acheson
in reply to: johnsonshiue

@johnsonshiue 

I read various post about this variable and so made the change before your last response. 

I added the variable and set this to “1” .

Is “ false” correct or “1”?

The speed of the part dropped to 3 secs, the assembly also 3 secs. I tested it later and they both increased to 6 secs. 
Not sure why the increase again.

I also noticed the edit through excel content center editor was more responsive. It uses to hang like heck before. 

I will do some more testing and see what happens. Do you happen to have some speed information references. Should we be aiming for 1 sec switching or does 3 sound about right? 

Regards
Alan
Message 7 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi Alan,

For 2021, the variable needs to be set to "False", not '0' (it was an intended change to differentiate the behavior in releases). It wasn't immediate but it should not be three secs (depending on your hardware). It was more like a sec or two on my machine.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 9
A.Acheson
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Due to Go Excel and embedded sheets not working, I removed the variable previously mentioned. Following this post instructions and  the 3d mouse addin referenced in the below post was removed from excel. 

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/inserting-from-iassembly-extremely-long-time/m-p/10089...

Go into Excel and go to options..add-ins and select "Manage  - COM addins" and press go..

(Make note of what was on then)... Uncheck ALL addins and press ok and close Excel..

Notice a difference? I certainly do. If not see if you have any other Excel Addins or other stuff there turned on.. 

Turn them back on one by one until you see whats effecting it.. For me the "3DConnexion Addin" was slowing down the member switching times by quite a bit.. 

Results of some testing relating to this inventor/excel interaction. In some cases the wait time is doubled with the addin active. There was a noticeable increase in excel response time in general in the Content center. Family members with large member numbers it may not be as noticeable.

Inventor2020/Excel2016 Interaction with windows 10
3d Connection add-in  in excel: On (Seconds)3d Connection add-in  in excel: Off (Seconds)Member Change Time   iAssembly Test Number
26.6311.36Initial member switch after Model Load1
04.4502.68Subsequent member switch1
04.5702.42Subsequent member switch1
23.2914.63Initial member switch after Model Load2
04.4502.68Subsequent member switch2
04.5702.42Subsequent member switch2
34.9411.51Initial member switch after Model Load3
06.212.75Subsequent member switch3
05.892.76Subsequent member switch3
Content Center
3d Connection add-in  in excel: On (Minutes)3d Connection add-in  in excel: Off (Minutes)Content Center Family Load ExcelTest Number
01:04.400:45.8Family Hex Bolt Inch (1161 members)1
00:59.300:49.0Family Hex Bolt Inch (1161 members)2
00:56.100:48.0Family Hex Bolt Inch (1161 members)3
Regards
Alan
Message 9 of 9
tomasz.sztejka

Thanks a lot, it solved the problem with Excel even tough in 2021 it shouldn't be used just to switch member.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report