Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor nesting freezes while charging origins

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
otp2
464 Views, 9 Replies

Inventor nesting freezes while charging origins

Hello, 

After creating an .iam of woodparts, all of the from laminated board created through Woodwork for Inventor, I try to creat the nesting but after giving it the origin file it freezes, sometimes at 14%, sometimes at 89%, sometimes even started the percentage.

Everything is up to date, updates, and so on... 

Is maybe a RAM problem? 

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
CCarreiras
in reply to: otp2

0lá!

Check if you have disk space at the C: drive. (it will be used temp files to load the parts)
If the parts are sheet metal, set the providers to open only sheet metal parts (or Inventor Part if they are solids), disable the other options.

Place the files in a local PC folder instead of an external device.

ccarreiras_0-1677498393084.png

Can you share the files so we give them a try?

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
otp2
in reply to: CCarreiras

Hey hello !!

Thanks for your quick answer, apparently it does nothing if I only check "Inventor Part" it imports nothing, but if I only check "Generic CAD" it does the same (it reads the parts but freezes when charging them -grey clock-)

In my C: drive I have 131GB left... Is it not enough?

And if I place them in local not in an external drive, it freezes at the same point...
😞
Message 4 of 10
otp2

I forgot to give you the link to my project package:

https://myshare.autodesk.com/personal/tomasz_dabrowski_autodesk_com/_layouts/15/onedrive.aspx?id=%2F...

Inside this folder >>>NESTING 22_393\Workgroups\NotInProject<<< You can try with this 3 .iam:

20230123_22393_LIBRERIA PARED
DORMITORIO 1_CONJUNTO COMPLETO
DORMITORIO 2_CONJUNTO COMPLETO

Thanks
Message 5 of 10
CCarreiras

131 GB is more than enough 🙂

I will take a look at the files now...

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
CCarreiras

Well.... your case is a different one, you are creating assemblies from "Woodwork for Inventor" multisolids.

When importing, Inventor will see that as Generic CAD (i don't know why), so you have to set the provider as Generic CAD also.

Nesting doesn't manage well assemblies with that kind of parts (derived links, etc), we hope that some development in this area will improve the workflow.

From now, what i advise is to carry the sources (Parts) manually, and not selecting by assemblies.
Be aware that you have to set the number of parts you need to nest.

Tip: carry the source parts in groups, not all at once.

Carry, let's say 20 parts, check if all went well save the file, and carry more parts.

This way will be easier to identify any part with troubles without losing all the "carry work".

ccarreiras_0-1677515772433.png

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
otp2

Hey mate!

That was an absolute massive help !! Really appreciate that ! 😄

Actually I 've realized that the problem is maybe on my RAMs computer, I m working now with a powerfull PC (i7, 3,2ghz, 16 RAM, NVIDIA QUADRO) and it is working perfectly, no problems, crashes, or freezes.

I know that the workflow is a bit strange but we decided to buy Inventor Nesting (3000€ for Product Collection) instead of buying WOODWORK FOR INVENTOR Nesting plugin (4000€ just for one app). Ideally would be better to do everything through W4I, but is a lot of money for just one plugin...
Message 8 of 10
CCarreiras

HI!

It works... Great!

• 32Gb RAM (or more) will help for faster Nestings

• Did you manage to import the assemblies, or you are importing the parts?

• Woodwork Nesting is expensive, but you pay only once, then you have to pay a lot less for maintaining the year updates to have new versions.

But... woodwork will give you options that Inventor Nesting doesn't have, like the wood grain direction, and the ability to rotate parts in the nesting (as you need and not as the program chooses), also you can prepare other features like circular saw rips, special wood slots, that you can export for the cutting/cam machine.
Inventor Nesting is more used to sheet metal cutting, woodwork was designed for woodworking.
Anyway, Inventor Nesting it's better than nothing.

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
otp2

Hey !!

Yea, I always import the assemblies, as I create the nesting through the main assembly.

About W4I Nesting, it is absolutely true that it is better for woodworking (under my opinion) but as well as we only use the nesting to calculate the boards needed for each project, W4I Nesting is a very expensive choice -for our needs-.

Thanks for your help mate !! You rock!
Message 10 of 10
Ivan_Sinicyn

To be fair, W4I is not just a plugin for cutting boards, but a suite of woodworking software. This and more convenient modeling and BOM, taking into account the different coatings, edge bands, etc.

Nesting for Inventor is not developing for some reason. Small fixes once a year and no more. The usability of the program is on par with the programs of the early 2000's. The nesting function constantly freezes and hangs on complex parts. There are interface bugs and a lot of inconvenient things.

Inventor 2024.2

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report