Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Extrude Cut & Add For Phone Case

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
342 Views, 2 Replies

Inventor Extrude Cut & Add For Phone Case

Is there a way to extrude and cut if something is there and add if something is not at the same time? I am making a phone case and I have the shape of the phone made and now I would like to use it as the starting point. I was thinking that I could do this by extruding a shape bigger than the phone and having it cut out the phone while adding around the phone. Is this possible? If not, any recommendation how I should do this are welcome.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Is there a way to extrude and cut if something is there and add if something is not at the same time?....

Yes, there are two techniques for doing this:

1. Replace Face will both add and subtract material simultaneously

2. Rest feature on the Plastic Part tab will also add and subtract material simultaneously.

But these two tools are probably not beginner tools.

Can you attach your *.ipt file here?

However, reading your problem Description there might be other options like Shell - Outward

or Thicken - New Solid.

Message 3 of 3
kelly.young
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello @Anonymous I see that you are visiting as a new member to the Inventor Forum.
Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

There are a couple of commands that should help you get your phone case started.

It sounds like you already have the phone modeled? I went here and grabbed a generic example.

You could create a new part and use Derive to bring in the modeled phone part for reference.

This will make it much easier to create features around the existing part.

If you can attach your attempt to see where you are getting stuck that would be helpful!

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report