Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

impossible U profile sheetmetal - all ideas welcome!

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
Charlies_3D_T
1134 Views, 16 Replies

impossible U profile sheetmetal - all ideas welcome!

Hello,

I need to design a profile like the pictures in attachment. I need to get this lasercut and bend. But i tried several ways to make this but inventor doesn't want to unbend my parts.

Any of you ideas or had the same problem? 

2018-10-10 14.49.24.jpg2018-10-10 14.49.20.jpg2018-10-10 14.49.11.jpg

kelly.young has embedded your images for clarity.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

@Charlies_3D_T

What Inventor version are you using?

Attach your attempt here so we can review it..

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 17

@Mark.Lancaster

I use the 2019 Version

In the first one i can't add a flange on the curved part

in the second i cant convert the sweep part to sheetmetal. 

Message 4 of 17
philip1009
in reply to: Charlies_3D_T

At this time Inventor Sheet Metal can't easily design or manipulate parts like this since it requires manipulation or stretching geometry of the material, which Inventor Sheet Metal can't solve, it's really only meant to create more simple bench-pressed parts.

However there are workarounds, do you already have working designs or flat pattern solutions in Autocad?  I've found that making two parts with parametric links or using multi-body sheet metal design is a good solution since you'll essentially have one part as the folded model to use in assemblies and drawings, and the other part to make the flat pattern.  It may be possible to just make the necessary manipulations to the flat pattern, but that can be very tricky and unstable.

If I have time today I'll try to come up with a sample of what I've done in the past to make these parts, good luck.

Message 5 of 17
swalton

If your shape was a true arc, not an ellipse or other conic section, you could use the Contour Roll and the Contour Flange tools...

You could do a faceted curve to approximate the arch shape...

The main issue as others have covered, is that Inventor currently has limited abilities to unfold parts that deform in more than one direction at once.  

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 6 of 17
kelly.young

Hello @Charlies_3D_T thanks for attaching the parts. In the real world is this laser cut, then pressed into a U shape, then rolled to create the arc?

Here is a 2019 part (I just realized you're on 2018.3) that is a general idea. It would be easier for manufacturing, patterning along, and generating the flat. 

BentTabs.png

You can put the cut into the first solid instead and it will then bend around like you want.

Hope that helps!

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 7 of 17
Charlies_3D_T
in reply to: kelly.young

Hello @kelly.young,

Thank you for the solution! The only problem i have is that when i try to measure the curve it's not possible. Is there a option that i need to activate or something? 

Message 8 of 17
S_May

@Charlies_3D_T,

Here my Suggestion...

2018-10-12 09_35_04-Autodesk Inventor 2016 - [U-Blech.ipt].png2018-10-12 09_35_19-Autodesk Inventor 2016 - [U-Blech.ipt].png

Message 9 of 17
S_May
in reply to: S_May

Message 10 of 17
kelly.young

@Charlies_3D_T Since it will be manufactured with two different operations it might be easiest for documentation to create two parts, one for the Flat Pattern to cut from and a Derived part for the U bend. 

FlatPart.pngDerivedPart.png

DerivedPart2.png

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 11 of 17
wgatleyAHKXJ

Hi Kelly. Does this part I have attached look like it has been modelled correctly for it to be turned into a flat pattern?

I was concerned at the flat pattern length versus the curved(arc) length substantial difference.

It has two operations, folding then rolled.

Message 12 of 17

Hi @wgatleyAHKXJ 

Yes. When rolling, you must choose a method to calculate the neutral axis (area).
Remember that bending compresses (contracts) the elements on the inside of the neutral axis (surface) and stretches the material on the outside.
When unfolding and creating a flat pattern, the opposite is true.
Therefore, your flat pattern is longer than the inner arcs at the ends of the flanges and at the same time shorter than the outer arcs of the base surface.
Everything is fine.
You can manually control the length of the expansion.
In the roll window, you can select the flat pattern calculation method and select or manually enter a neutral radius or length there.

Before you start experimenting, however, remember that the length of the flat pattern should ultimately match the technology and take into account all contractions and stretches, not just those that are intuitive to you.

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

YouTube - Inventor tutorials | WWW | LinkedIn | Instagram

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 13 of 17

Thanks for that feedback on my folded and rolled curve.

Its just that the flat pattern dimension seems to be a lot shorter.

Best Regards,

Wayne Gatley

Design Draftsman

P: 03 8548 3866

M: 0455 451 544

85A Yellowbox drive

Craigieburn VIC 3064. Australia

E:
wgatley@conveyorlogistics.com.au

W: <> www.conveyorlogistics.com.au

Message 14 of 17
kelly.young
in reply to: wgatleyAHKXJ

Hello @wgatleyAHKXJ I see that you are visiting as a new member to the Inventor Forum.
Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

Attached is a different way of going about it. There are some drawbacks to this workflow, but it is easier to control the pre-bend shape and spacing. 

Hope that helps. 

Message 15 of 17
wgatleyAHKXJ

Hi Kelly.

It seems that Kacper has modified some dimensions but i cannot understand them as they are in a different language.

Second to that, in the Inventor notes, it says not to use the 'Bend' command for sheet metal parts: //help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2023/ENU/?guid=GUID-98FDE447-C0A7-4694-ABD3-BA19A329DDF6

Message 16 of 17
kelly.young

@wgatleyAHKXJ yes, that is the primary drawback for the workflow. I have found this workflow helpful in the past, but otherwise you can do the initial way. Sometimes using Unfold, then adding features, then Refold is another workflow that helps. 

Message 17 of 17
wgatleyAHKXJ

HI Kelly.

It was hard to understand the video as it was not in English.

Best Regards,

Wayne Gatley

Design Draftsman

P: 03 8548 3866

M: 0455 451 544

85A Yellowbox drive

Craigieburn VIC 3064

E:
wgatley@conveyorlogistics.com.au

W: <> www.conveyorlogistics.com.au

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report