Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material changing back to "Generic" when assembly is opened - Issue

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
BI.Drafting
282 Views, 5 Replies

Material changing back to "Generic" when assembly is opened - Issue

Has anyone had an issue where the materials assigned in the BOM change back to generic when the assembly is opened? Is there a quick fix to stop this happening.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
EdvinTailwind
in reply to: BI.Drafting

Is the material you're assigning to the part(s) from the Autodesk or Inventor standard libraries or custom ones? 

And just to make sure - are you referring to the Bill of Materials or the Parts List? Could you supply some screenshots?

Message 3 of 6
BI.Drafting
in reply to: EdvinTailwind

We are using our own material library and mainly referring to the BOM but it affects the parts list also as the material is driven from the BOM. I've attached some screenshots of the message I get and materials going back to generic for all the parts in the assembly.

I've found it only does this when using sheet metal and doesn't do it when you until the "Link sheet metal defaults" box when creating components. But then if you update the sheet metal default in the Master Part, the part itself doesn't update.

Hope this makes sense.

Message 4 of 6
EdvinTailwind

Ok, then I assume you're using iParts? I'm not overly savvy on iParts, unfortunately... Probably someone else can help you out. 

However, in general I think you need to supply as much info you can on the situation. Are you using Vault? Which version of Inventor 2023 are you using? Steps to repeat the issue?

Message 5 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! I vaguely remember seeing this issue before. It might be related to inconsistent material style assignment. Essentially the active sheet metal style has material style A, while the sheet metal part file itself has been assigned to material style B.

If possible, please share the Inventor files that exhibit the behavior. I am would like to understand it better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 6
BI.Drafting
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks Johnson, 

I believe this is the issue, when I go into the part and change the material in the sheet metal defaults, the issue is fixed and the materials don't change back to Generic when the assembly is opened.

Appreciate your help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report