Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to shell a COMPLEX GENERATIVE DESIGN PART???

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
ZEBAS70
916 Views, 6 Replies

How to shell a COMPLEX GENERATIVE DESIGN PART???

Hi I’m working on a really complex generative design part in inventor and I want to shell my solid part. I’ve tried everything!!!

I’ve tried shell

I've tried thicken/offset from solid and surface

I’ve tried free form thicken

but haven’t had any result. I don’t know what else to try!!!

I have the solid part, the surface and the freeform. Please help me !!!Shell with solid 01.PNGShell with solid 02.PNGThicken-Offset with solid.PNGThicken-Offset with Surface 01.PNGThicken-Offset with Surface 02.PNGFiles here

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AmbHaucZ8R_ug8dMGBk0uRqGkK6qdA

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
johnsonshiue
in reply to: ZEBAS70

Hi! It took a quick look at the part. The original geometry was Mesh or Freeform, right? If yes, couldn't you do Thicken within Freeform?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 7
ZEBAS70
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi! Johnson thank you so much for your help

The original geometry was exported from another software and it was a solid part. Then I made it a mesh and then a freeform. Yes, I’ve tried the thicken command within Freeform, but I can only select one body the time!!!... I’ll add another image to the post. Thanks for your help !!!Thicken with Freeform 01.PNG

Message 4 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi! You will need to use Merge Edges command to merge those Freeform faces before you can thicken it.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 7
ZEBAS70
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hey I tried doing what you said it works !!!! nice...but I can't merge all the edges at one....I'll have to do it manually one by one and there are 616 surface bodies Smiley Indifferent .... is there another way I can merge all edges at once??Merge Edges Thicken.PNG

Message 6 of 7
S_May

@ZEBAS70,

make small steps as in the pattern..

2018-06-05 11_18_13-Autodesk Inventor Professional 2019.png2018-06-05 11_34_07-Autodesk Inventor Professional 2019 - [PolyNURBS Block 3 Mirror Copy 8 - Freefor.png2018-06-05 11_34_32-Autodesk Inventor Professional 2019 - [PolyNURBS Block 3 Mirror Copy 8 - Freefor.png

Message 7 of 7
ZEBAS70
in reply to: S_May

Hi S_May thanks for your reply....yes I've tried working out small parts of the model Smiley LOL ..... I think that could be an option.... but I'm going to do some FEA after that so I don't know if the small parts will really be joint together...actually there are some sections where this error message show up !!! Thanks anywaySmall Steps in Thicken.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report