Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to generate a cam track in a cylinder?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
753 Views, 4 Replies

How to generate a cam track in a cylinder?

I am trying to generate a cam slot in a cylinder, however, I cannot figure out how to go about getting the correct geometry.

In Solidworks I would have used a sweep 3D object I believe.

As you can see in the attached blueprint it is generated with a 0.3165" diameter theoretical cylinder "end mill". It is rotated 21.5 degrees from the center of the main cylinder body over a distance of 0.255".

I have tried emboss, I have tried projecting a slot on to the cylinder, then using split followed by a thicken cut. It does not provide a "straight" geometry from that point. 

I have also tried doing a sweep command however as you can see in the "Sweep" attachment" it does not give the edges of the cylinder.

The only method I can think of, yet not sure how to implement is a pattern of extrudes that only approximate the curve. I want to stay away from this method because I would like to be able to keep the design modular for later changes in main body cylinder diameter.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi! Inventor is not yet capable of sweeping a 3D volume. The closest approximation is using a 2D projected profile and sweep along a path guided by a surface. We are aware of Solidworks' ability to sweep a 3D volume. We are investigating similar capability.

In the meantime, there are two alternative approximated workflows. One is sweep a projected profile along a path guided by a surface. The other one is pattern along a path. If you need more information about the first one, please post the part here or send it to me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com). I can show you how to get the approximated solution.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 5
TheCADWhisperer

@Anonymous wrote:

In Solidworks I would have used a sweep 3D object I believe..... 

Have you attempted this in SolidWorks?

If so, can you attach your SWx file here?

I think you will find the solid sweep on path more limited than you might expect.

I would do this in SolidWorks the same way I would do it in Inventor.

Can  you attach your *.ipt attempt and/or *.sldprt attempt here, or at least indicate what version of Inventor you are using?

Message 4 of 5
TheCADWhisperer

Is something like this what you are after?

Cam Slot.png

Message 5 of 5
TheCADWhisperer

@Anonymous

Are you still there?

I can give you a full-feature parametric solution if you are still trying to figure this out.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report