Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to generate a cam track in a cylinder?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
783 Views, 4 Replies

How to generate a cam track in a cylinder?

I am trying to generate a cam slot in a cylinder, however, I cannot figure out how to go about getting the correct geometry.

In Solidworks I would have used a sweep 3D object I believe.

As you can see in the attached blueprint it is generated with a 0.3165" diameter theoretical cylinder "end mill". It is rotated 21.5 degrees from the center of the main cylinder body over a distance of 0.255".

I have tried emboss, I have tried projecting a slot on to the cylinder, then using split followed by a thicken cut. It does not provide a "straight" geometry from that point. 

I have also tried doing a sweep command however as you can see in the "Sweep" attachment" it does not give the edges of the cylinder.

The only method I can think of, yet not sure how to implement is a pattern of extrudes that only approximate the curve. I want to stay away from this method because I would like to be able to keep the design modular for later changes in main body cylinder diameter.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi! Inventor is not yet capable of sweeping a 3D volume. The closest approximation is using a 2D projected profile and sweep along a path guided by a surface. We are aware of Solidworks' ability to sweep a 3D volume. We are investigating similar capability.

In the meantime, there are two alternative approximated workflows. One is sweep a projected profile along a path guided by a surface. The other one is pattern along a path. If you need more information about the first one, please post the part here or send it to me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com). I can show you how to get the approximated solution.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 5
TheCADWhisperer

@Anonymous wrote:

In Solidworks I would have used a sweep 3D object I believe..... 

Have you attempted this in SolidWorks?

If so, can you attach your SWx file here?

I think you will find the solid sweep on path more limited than you might expect.

I would do this in SolidWorks the same way I would do it in Inventor.

Can  you attach your *.ipt attempt and/or *.sldprt attempt here, or at least indicate what version of Inventor you are using?

Message 4 of 5
TheCADWhisperer

Is something like this what you are after?

Cam Slot.png

Message 5 of 5
TheCADWhisperer

@Anonymous

Are you still there?

I can give you a full-feature parametric solution if you are still trying to figure this out.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report