Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to convert from navisworks to inventor?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
mohandis2
9742 Views, 7 Replies

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mcgyvr
in reply to: mohandis2

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcartic...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi! Like Brian mentioned earlier, Inventor is not yet able to import Navisworks file directly. You would have to export it to FBX file and then use 3D Studio Max to export as STL and then import it to Inventor.

Do you mind elaborating the geometry or design you are working on in Inventor requiring Navisworks' file?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 8

Hey Johnson!

Not sure if the user is going to be able to provide examples, but I run into this often with factory layouts and / or 3D process piping.  Clients will receive a Navisworks file and need to work off of this geometry.  The FBX workflow is nice, but it would be even better if a user could import / convert the FBX directly into Inventor.  Just my two cents...  Hope this helps and have a most blessed night!

Peace,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Message 5 of 8

Hi Pete,

This is an interesting idea. It is indeed captured in Inventor Ideas forum. But, at the moment, there are only 4 votes. Please add your vote.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/import-navisworks-data/idi-p/7424574

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 8
philip1009

There is a function to go from Inventor to Navisworks in the Factory Design Suite, but not the other way around.

So far the best workflow others have found is to import the Navisworks file into 3DS Max, and then export from 3DS Max as an STL file.  Surely this has to be something Autodesk has to work on in the future.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/how-to-convert-from-navisworks-to-inventor/td-p/800619...

Message 7 of 8
dgorsman
in reply to: philip1009

I can see bring something in as FBX, and being able to reference in NWD/NWC files, but converting them directly to Inventor format isn't a good idea.  For starters the way Navisworks converts objects to faceted surfaces (for speed purposes) results in loss of precision, and that loss of precision can vary such that one source may be more precise than another.  You'll end up with much the same problem as trying to convert a mesh generated from importing a complex STL file.

If the originator is unwilling to provide the model in the original format, or in a neutral format like STEP or IGES, then it's time to check whether you actually have the rights to that content.  Trying to reverse-engineer a Navisworks model isn't a suitable way to get around that restriction.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 8 of 8
hbc85
in reply to: dgorsman

The quality of the model someone wants to work with. Should be up to the user. Not someone on a forum who means that its such a low quality that it should not be used.
even if its for reference. There are use cases. No matter what Autodesk program you use. You should be able to switch between them without any problem. It is an Autodesk product after all.
your concerns should be able to be managed with a warning message and let the user choose the way forward. If navis is good enough to be used for stress simulations. Then surly you can have metadata that tells inventor how the the part should be and how accurate it should be. This is something Autodesk should have a solution for.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report