Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How fast is your Inventor PC really?

2,218 REPLIES 2,218
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2,219
Raider_71
144565 Views, 2218 Replies

How fast is your Inventor PC really?

Hi guys,

We have had to do some testing on a bunch of Inventor PC's recently to determine which of the PC's needs to be replaced. Obviously we needed to find out which of the PC's are the worst eprformers as there was only budget to replace 50% of the design PC's. So we thought the Darwin theory will come in handy right... 🙂

Anyways I started searching on the net for toppics on how to benchmark an Inventor PC. Then I thought whats the point of using gaming benchmark tools because Inventor is not a game and there are more aspects than just graphics performance when it comes to percieved performance on an Inventor PC right.

So we decided to create our own Inventor benchmark tool which tests various aspects of an Inventor PC to give us an overview of our PC's performance. This then helped us make a decision as to whcih pc's to replace.

We have made the tool available free of charge to anyone interested in checking how their PC stacks up to their peers or friends. 🙂

Please download it here and post your results here as well if you want. Would be interesting to see what beast workstations are out there.

I would like to say thanks to Kirk #karthur1, for helping in testing the app.

Please feel free to send any suggestions our way. There is an email link in the app.

Download and Install

The application will work with Inventor 2014 to 2016 only.

IMPORTANT: After installation there will be an Inventor Bench icon on your desktop that looks like this: 32x32.png

My resluts:

HP Elitebook 8560w with an SSD upgrade.

Inventor Bench.jpg

2,218 REPLIES 2,218
Message 1101 of 2,219
tom_vierling
in reply to: jwitt1983

Clearly you have an RGB strip that gives you 50% more performance! Lol
HP Z240 Workstation i7-7700K, Nvidia Quadro P1000, Samsung 512GB NVME SSD, WD 1TB HDD, 16GB (2x8) DDR4 2400mhz, TriMonitor (1920x1080, 3840x2160, 1920x1080) Inventor Pro 2022, AutoCAD 2022
Message 1102 of 2,219
Anonymous
in reply to: Raider_71

@Neil_Crossmaybe it's worth trying the driver? I don't have admin on my work machine.

9.18.13.4788 is 347.88 which appears to be an old quadro ODE driver.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/83304/en-us

Message 1103 of 2,219
jwitt1983
in reply to: Neil_Cross

Cinebench score incoming... @Neil_Cross

BRANDON CINEBENCH R15 TEST 4.PNG

Message 1104 of 2,219
Neil_Cross

Well that definitely doesn't make any sense now, your CB score is quite low, so there's no sense in how it could blitz through the CPU based Inventor tests better than any other CPU you see on the chart below.

Here's my chart so far for Cinebench, you scored 694...

2017-07-31_21-36-40.jpg

Message 1105 of 2,219
Anonymous

Hi @Neil_Cross

Been watching alot of your videos, has been really helpfull in my new job.
this is my score from my 1 year old gaming rig with my 6600k @4.6GHz.
InventorBench.JPG
My boss already asked me to configure 2 new PC's for the office. 
A 7700k and 1080 are currently on the table.

Thanks again

Message 1106 of 2,219
mmaes

@Anonymous the 1060 will give you the same performance in Inventor as a 1080 for less money. I have built 12 pcs now with 7700k processors. One with a titan x pascal, one with a 1080, and the rest with 1060 cards. All perform exactly the same in Inventor.
Message 1107 of 2,219
Anonymous
in reply to: mmaes

Hi, @mmaes,

Yeah you're probably right but 1080's are just 'fun' and sometimes we need to render something photorealistic with raytracing.
I think the 1080's could make a difference there.

Message 1108 of 2,219
Neil_Cross
in reply to: Anonymous

Ray tracing doesn't use the GPU, it's 100% CPU.  Inventor doesn't use any of the GPU to any great extent other than needing enough VRAM to get by.

How you should justify a card like that is to simply lay down VR as being an option for the future, you will need a big GPU for that.

Message 1109 of 2,219
Anonymous

Convincing my boss is no issue at all, He first planned on the Nvidia P4000 but then i told him that has no real benifit + the lack of HDMI ports would require the purchase of some adapters.

Message 1110 of 2,219
Neil_Cross

The 1080 is a more powerful card than the P4000.

If you want the best of the best within reason, the 1080Ti is the one to have.

Message 1111 of 2,219

The 11GB VRram could come in handy when working with tons of 3D point cloud data. 

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Maybe someone can test his pc with this old nvidia-driver (9.18.13.4788 - from 2014?). Sometimes the system runs feature-apps, which need performance in the background. So an older driver without this is more effective.

On the other hand, some performance needing features of Inventor are not (fully) supported (quality-level of shadows or things like that).

Message 1113 of 2,219
Raider_71

Hi guys,

I added a minor improvement to InventorBench which allows you to set the output folder for when saving the IPT. This has been an issue for some people having set their My Documents folder to a server drive for instance. This will affect your score when doing the model save time test.

You can now specify the folder by clicking the "link label" which is visible just below the "Model Save Time" are on the results pane.

Give it a go and let me know what you find.

InventorBench 2.0 is still in the works...

Cheers!

Message 1114 of 2,219
Anonymous

Just built this new PC, was hoping for 12-13 and getting 11's. Any suggestions on where I should try to tweak anything?

Message 1115 of 2,219
mdavis22569

So did you clock anything? 

I have a i7-6700 / Asus Strix 1070 / 32 gbs of Ram ...

But I clocked both the CPU and GPU to get my scores...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 1116 of 2,219
Anonymous
in reply to: mdavis22569

No, that's all stock clocks (4.2Ghz CPU, 1.8Ghz GPU).

Message 1117 of 2,219
Neil_Cross

Sweet PC though.

Yea if you want to win at the benchmark you need to overclock, even the 7700K.

Many people will disagree with me and I'm not gonna go off on one here about it, but I still say and will always say that overclocks should be left at home and only at home, I wouldn't ever encourage anyone to overclock a PC in a business unless it's your business and you own the PC and know the risks.

Message 1118 of 2,219
mdavis22569

Stock I was High 11's ...low 12's.

I also killed EVERYTHING in my task manager ...

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 1119 of 2,219
mdavis22569

@Neil_Cross wrote:

Sweet PC though.

Yea if you want to win at the benchmark you need to overclock, even the 7700K.

Many people will disagree with me and I'm not gonna go off on one here about it, but I still say and will always say that overclocks should be left at home and only at home, I wouldn't ever encourage anyone to overclock a PC in a business unless it's your business and you own the PC and know the risks.

I'm with Neil,  I only overclocked it for the benchmark test ... I run it normal clocking all day everyday ....

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 1120 of 2,219
Neil_Cross
in reply to: mdavis22569

Yeah my home PC (which I also run my own business off) is overclocked, but that's because I'm liable.  If it blue screens on me during an encode or a render, I've only got myself to answer to! And it has.  It's stable 99.99% of the time, but at full tilt usually on a ray trace it can clock out and retire on me.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report