Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How fast is your Inventor PC really?

2,218 REPLIES 2,218
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2,219
Raider_71
199481 Views, 2218 Replies

How fast is your Inventor PC really?

Hi guys,

We have had to do some testing on a bunch of Inventor PC's recently to determine which of the PC's needs to be replaced. Obviously we needed to find out which of the PC's are the worst eprformers as there was only budget to replace 50% of the design PC's. So we thought the Darwin theory will come in handy right... 🙂

Anyways I started searching on the net for toppics on how to benchmark an Inventor PC. Then I thought whats the point of using gaming benchmark tools because Inventor is not a game and there are more aspects than just graphics performance when it comes to percieved performance on an Inventor PC right.

So we decided to create our own Inventor benchmark tool which tests various aspects of an Inventor PC to give us an overview of our PC's performance. This then helped us make a decision as to whcih pc's to replace.

We have made the tool available free of charge to anyone interested in checking how their PC stacks up to their peers or friends. 🙂

Please download it here and post your results here as well if you want. Would be interesting to see what beast workstations are out there.

I would like to say thanks to Kirk #karthur1, for helping in testing the app.

Please feel free to send any suggestions our way. There is an email link in the app.

Download and Install

The application will work with Inventor 2014 to 2016 only.

IMPORTANT: After installation there will be an Inventor Bench icon on your desktop that looks like this: 32x32.png

My resluts:

HP Elitebook 8560w with an SSD upgrade.

Inventor Bench.jpg

2,218 REPLIES 2,218
Message 2201 of 2,219
Neil_Cross
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Offending others is not a good thing to do in a professional forum.

Aren't you the guy who came out of nowhere accusing the InventorBench developer of being a fraud...

Screenshot 2021-06-25 131634.jpg

@Anonymous wrote:

If you have nothing to add, better not say anything.

Message 2202 of 2,219
peter.ensing

@Anonymous 

Like everyone else already recommended, get a new PC.
Inventor heavily relies on CPU to get maximum performance. Most of the times, newer CPU with a high single core clock speed = better performance.

You think you have no budget for a new one? think again because with this old rig you clearly have plenty of time to wait on loading models or waiting on calculations within Inventor. How much money would you save or how much more progress would you make if you could reduce all this waiting time to a minimum with a new rig? 
You could probably buy a new rig every 4 months for the waste of time you have now on your old rig.

To give you an example, I worked on a huge project with drawings that took 7 minutes (per drawing) to load on my rig, at my colleague rig it took 30 minutes to open the same drawing. His rig was 1 year and 1 CPU generation older than mine, rest of the hardware was about the same.
A newer CPU (chosen wisely) can save you allot of waiting and frustration. 

Message 2203 of 2,219
Anonymous
in reply to: peter.ensing

Hi Peter
Thank you for your advice and comments.
I will evaluate your tips.
I'm leaving this forum, I haven't found warmth like yours in other users.
Goodbye
Message 2204 of 2,219
will_roe
in reply to: Raider_71

Sorry if this is off topic but private message doesn't seem to working. - please feel free to remove.

@cfagerst  I noticed you've tested both 13900KF & 7950x on similar set ups on invmark. I asked this question on the nastran forum - Would there be any difference between a Ryzen 7950x and a intel 13900k specifically for Nastran? 

Can you shed any light on this?

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-nastran-forum/current-best-hardware-for-nastran/m-p/11606367...

Message 2205 of 2,219
cfagerst
in reply to: will_roe

Yes I tested the new intel and AMD with invmark and can speculate on how they would do in Nastran (no excperience of Nastran tho..) Will reply in the Nastranforum link you sent anytime soon.

Message 2206 of 2,219
will_roe
in reply to: cfagerst

Hi, sorry to pester you. Would love to get this info. Even if you can indicate which way you would go without explanation.

Cheers.
Message 2207 of 2,219
cfagerst
in reply to: will_roe

Oh sry, hurries and such, forgot about this. I'll answer quickly in that Nastran thread.

Message 2208 of 2,219
KevinGreenhouse

Good Morning,

I have recently carried out the Invmark bench test on my machine and one other in our design office, both machines are the exact same spec except for the CPU.

However, when we run the benchmark test the scores are drastically different for the Graphics score, any idea why this would be?

Mine has an  i7-7740X @4.3GHz - Graphics score = 1609

The other machine has Xeon W-2123 3.6Ghz - Graphics score = 2301

Thanks.

Message 2209 of 2,219
Neil_Cross

@KevinGreenhouse because the CPU is the main driver for graphics performance in Inventor, this is well documented now

Message 2210 of 2,219

Thanks for the response, however, I didn't feel the two CPUs were too dissimilar in performance to create such a large gap?

Message 2211 of 2,219

tbh you're right, but I would have expected the scores to be the other way around, they're both super old but I would have expected the 7740X to be ahead of a W2123.

On the 7740X system, go into Inventor application options and check the hardware tab, make sure graphics setting is either the same as the W2123 or set to Performance.  And make sure software graphics is unchecked.

If there's still a difference, can you link me the uploaded system score from the InvMark website and I'll see if I can spot anything obvious.

Message 2212 of 2,219

Thanks for the response, I updated the settings to be performance rather than quality also, I went down a bit of a rabbit hole updating drivers I didn't realise I hadn't updated (For a long time) and I've now dramatically upgraded my graphics score to about 3000.

This is a link to my overall results: https://invmark.cadac.com/#/detail/2891

We're going to spend a little money doing some upgrades soon, we were thinking of a new 1TB SSD (as we're always short on space) and upgrading to 64GB of ram, I know upgrading the CPU is probably the best option but for now, is what I am suggesting the best move forward?

Thanks.

Message 2213 of 2,219
Timothy.Ward2

Probably faster ram instead of more, but yeah it's a CPU from 2017. better IPC and clock speeds seem to always give the best bump. Is the system sluggish or causing issues in the office?

Message 2214 of 2,219

So you're using 32GB DDR4-2400MHz Ram.  Do you need 64GB?  Unless you're maxing out 32GB, adding more Ram isn't going to make anything faster.  

Your processor only supports up to DDR4-2666 speed Ram.  So faster Ram isn't going to benefit you much either.

Message 2215 of 2,219

That is interesting, I wasn't aware the CPU was limited to 2666 speed, thanks for the heads up.

We sometimes do fairly large assemblies and can be very sluggish when working on these, I'm pretty sure that sometimes I am getting close to the 32GB limit.

Message 2216 of 2,219
cadman777
in reply to: KevinGreenhouse

I found that going from 32gb to 64gb dramatically improved performance, esp. on large assemblies.

... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator
Message 2217 of 2,219

Mentor @Neil_Cross What about 2024 editions on new... 

AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX vs Intel Core i9-13980HX

Being the common high performance options in laptops. Thanks in advance for your advice. 

Ed.D.& M.Eng.Alberto Pérez Parra.Mechanical Engineer and Designer, Instructor, Professor and CAD/CAM/CAE/CFD Enthusiast, México.
Design Proeficency
Let me know that my help was useful clicking: "Accept as solution" button, thanks. Info. and contact: |Twitter|LinkedIn| Credly|.

Message 2218 of 2,219

Hello Alberto,

If this can help you in your decision

I am using a Asus Strix G17 with a 7945hx cpu. This thing is a beast and having that level a performance in a portable device is just amazing. I was using a desktop with a 12900k and this laptop is on par if not better. The laptop stays cool on long session of Inventor.

This is just my opinion but for me, even if the 13980hx was a little bit better for Inventor, that slight performance boost wouldn't be worth it because of the poorer performance/watt. 

About the Asus strix laptop, it's very big and feels cheap. On paper the Lenovo legion 7 gen 8 looks better but it's not yet available.

Message 2219 of 2,219
s.bayat

To Inventor users,

I see on the benchmark screenshots here and there  with hard desk drive (HHD). Change that into a SSD asap. This is bottle neck to and causes the delay in almost every action which HDD is involved. In case of Inventor files, this makes it too slow. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report