Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How fast is your Inventor PC really?

2,218 REPLIES 2,218
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2,219
Raider_71
172836 Views, 2218 Replies

How fast is your Inventor PC really?

Hi guys,

We have had to do some testing on a bunch of Inventor PC's recently to determine which of the PC's needs to be replaced. Obviously we needed to find out which of the PC's are the worst eprformers as there was only budget to replace 50% of the design PC's. So we thought the Darwin theory will come in handy right... 🙂

Anyways I started searching on the net for toppics on how to benchmark an Inventor PC. Then I thought whats the point of using gaming benchmark tools because Inventor is not a game and there are more aspects than just graphics performance when it comes to percieved performance on an Inventor PC right.

So we decided to create our own Inventor benchmark tool which tests various aspects of an Inventor PC to give us an overview of our PC's performance. This then helped us make a decision as to whcih pc's to replace.

We have made the tool available free of charge to anyone interested in checking how their PC stacks up to their peers or friends. 🙂

Please download it here and post your results here as well if you want. Would be interesting to see what beast workstations are out there.

I would like to say thanks to Kirk #karthur1, for helping in testing the app.

Please feel free to send any suggestions our way. There is an email link in the app.

Download and Install

The application will work with Inventor 2014 to 2016 only.

IMPORTANT: After installation there will be an Inventor Bench icon on your desktop that looks like this: 32x32.png

My resluts:

HP Elitebook 8560w with an SSD upgrade.

Inventor Bench.jpg

2,218 REPLIES 2,218
Message 281 of 2,219
mmaes
in reply to: Raider_71

@Raider_71 I just tried it like that and same results.  I am stumped.

Message 282 of 2,219
tobias_wiesendanger
in reply to: mmaes

I really like the idea of this benchmark tool and did read every post in this thread, compared results etc and realy love the direction this is going. There is just one thing I think many overlook and could be the reason why an ssd sometimes performs bad or even worse than a Sata HDD.

AntiVirus

I made alot of bad experience with many antivirus software. They can affect performance by a large portion if not configured right. So I think maybe there should be collected some info on that or this tests have to be done when it is deactivated.

Any Opinion on that?

btw Im realy looking forward to top first place here soon 🙂 we will see.

Kind regards

Tobias

Message 283 of 2,219

Anti-virus shouldn't be a factor here, AV only ever becomes an issue when the on-access scanner ends up intercepting multiple files in a bulk operation, this benchmark tool is just working on a single file at a time so AV shouldn't be holding anything up.

Good luck getting first place, I've just ordered the top end Alienware 17 laptop with a graphics amplifier and I've got a FirePro W9100 ready to slot in, so game on!

Message 284 of 2,219
mmaes

You will have the 9100 connected to your laptop?
Message 285 of 2,219
Neil_Cross

@mmaes That's the plan! A contact at AMD has said he doesn't expect it to work, but according to all the Alienware spec sheets the amplifier works with all desktop cards, both AMD and NVIDIA, with a TDP of 375W or less.  However I reckon it might be driver support from AMD which lets me down here.  They've created a driver for the Radeon cards but I highly doubt there's one for the FirePro range.  

Message 286 of 2,219
mmaes

What CPU in this rig? I think we all would agree that it appears you get more bang for your buck from a really good overclocked CPU (not necessarily tons of cores or hyper threading) than a fancy GPU (for inventor)
Message 287 of 2,219
Neil_Cross

It's got the top end Skylake 6820HK in at 4.1GHz, the Dell Precision I was looking at could have a Xeon @ 3.8GHz but that laptop was almost exactly double the price for a similar spec.  The mobile GPU in the Alienware will be the 980M which is the equivalent to the Quadro M5000M, which is ridiculously expensive.

Agreed the W9100 won't do much for Inventor, but Showcase is buttery smooth on it! And if I never need to run 6 screens simultaneously at 4K the W9100 has me covered Smiley Frustrated

Message 288 of 2,219
Ray_Feiler
in reply to: Ray_Feiler

This is up from an IPI of 7.3 after I OC'd to 3.6 GHz and bumped up the turbo to 4.5 GHz.

InventorBench Results.PNG

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 289 of 2,219
mmaes

@rayfeiler very nice. Is that the best modeling time so far?
Message 290 of 2,219
mmaes

Btw, your rig is very similar to mine except I have the 2600k overclocked to 4.4ghz, 32Gb RAM, and two 580 cards in SLI
Message 291 of 2,219
Ray_Feiler

After quickly going through all 29 pages I would say that my modeling time might be in the top five. Smiley Happy

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 292 of 2,219
AlexFielder

@Neil_Cross: this makes for some interesting reading: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-6820HK-vs-Intel-Core-i7-6700K

I expected the 6800HK to blow the 6700K CPU out of the water but from the figures on the page above, the only difference I could see is the memory bandwidth of the 6800HK is doubled whereas everything else is identical. (with the notable exception of the default Turbo clock speed).

Is that page correct?

Smiley Surprised

Message 293 of 2,219
Neil_Cross
in reply to: AlexFielder

I would have expected the 6700K to be the better chip as the other one on the sheet, the 6820HK, is a mobile CPU in a laptop... I'd always expect a desktop chip to outperform a mobile chip from the same generation

Message 294 of 2,219
Neil_Cross
in reply to: AlexFielder

No idea who is interested in this, but I've just found a registry switch for Inventor which has increased my graphics performance by up to 50% on an already impressive score.

09-02-2016 00-04-57.jpg

I need to make sure it doesn't screw up anything else before I mention it! But **** the graphic test went turbo mode!

Message 295 of 2,219
Neil_Cross
in reply to: Neil_Cross

Ladies and gents, Skylake fans, I present to you the first 12.0 point score in the bench test and a new 1st place (I think), game on!

12.jpg

The above was done as a one off quick test, the next test was then re-run using 3 cycles.  Slightly differing bench totals but the same 12.0 result.

12 (2).jpg

If the stars aligned on all bench totals I think it might have jumped to 12.1, but I'm happy with that.  

Message 296 of 2,219
Anonymous

What registry setting?
Message 297 of 2,219
Raider_71
in reply to: Neil_Cross

Hi @Neil_Cross

Yes please tell! 🙂

Oh and well done on that score! I believe you are king of the hill for the moment. Smiley Wink

Message 298 of 2,219

Allriiiight. 

Here's my benchmark. Old stuff low score.

What's that register tho?!

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

So obviously do this entirely at your own risk, I haven't established the long term implications of changing these settings and they have been changed purely because it makes stuff go faster, there are visible quality decreases going on as a result.

With Inventor closed, go to key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion20.0\System\Preferences\GraphicsUtil

Change:

UseMultiThreading to 0 | this gives an immediate 50% boost to FPS and as you can see from my results, gives a marginal increase to other processes however this could have a negative impact on other areas of Inventor.

UseAdvancedEffect to 0 | this simplifies and dumbs down the graphics by a noticeable margin, but still workable.  There is a visible lack of anti-aliasing when this is at 0.

UseAccel to 0 | no idea what this does, but having it set on sounds like something is accelerating so setting it to 0 can only make shiz go fastah ryt? 

Modify these at your own risk, backup the registry if you need to, obviously I'm not responsible for anything going wrong nor are Autodesk or anyone else other than the person who changed the keys!

Edit: I don't have a system to test it on but I suspect the "UseMultiThreading" key will only apply to computers with a CPU which supports hyperthreading.

Message 300 of 2,219

THat's odd. My score went down after editing the register.
The only thing I DIDN not change was the UseAdvancedEffect
https://i.imgur.com/3uRGxrv.png (I had Chrome open)
https://i.imgur.com/iTqMYts.png (I closed chrome)

Edit: It looks like the HDD is the bottleneck here. Now I DO have a SSD however the My Documents folder is located on my D drive (which is a older slower HDD)
Edit2 : nope not true. Everything is on a SSD. Ignore Edit1: 

Question. What makes my score lowe than others? The only REAL difference in numbers seem to be the HDD test. 
(newbie in this thread.. just found this thread this morning. )

Edit3: Ok. It's my SSD it's ****. I need a new one. 

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report