Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How fast is your Inventor PC really?

2,218 REPLIES 2,218
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2,219
Raider_71
103980 Views, 2218 Replies

How fast is your Inventor PC really?

Hi guys,

We have had to do some testing on a bunch of Inventor PC's recently to determine which of the PC's needs to be replaced. Obviously we needed to find out which of the PC's are the worst eprformers as there was only budget to replace 50% of the design PC's. So we thought the Darwin theory will come in handy right... 🙂

Anyways I started searching on the net for toppics on how to benchmark an Inventor PC. Then I thought whats the point of using gaming benchmark tools because Inventor is not a game and there are more aspects than just graphics performance when it comes to percieved performance on an Inventor PC right.

So we decided to create our own Inventor benchmark tool which tests various aspects of an Inventor PC to give us an overview of our PC's performance. This then helped us make a decision as to whcih pc's to replace.

We have made the tool available free of charge to anyone interested in checking how their PC stacks up to their peers or friends. 🙂

Please download it here and post your results here as well if you want. Would be interesting to see what beast workstations are out there.

I would like to say thanks to Kirk #karthur1, for helping in testing the app.

Please feel free to send any suggestions our way. There is an email link in the app.

Download and Install

The application will work with Inventor 2014 to 2016 only.

IMPORTANT: After installation there will be an Inventor Bench icon on your desktop that looks like this: 32x32.png

My resluts:

HP Elitebook 8560w with an SSD upgrade.

Inventor Bench.jpg

2,218 REPLIES 2,218
Message 201 of 2,219
harris
in reply to: Raider_71

Raider,

Reason for me running this test is because I have created assemblies inside Inventor using iLogic., I am experiencing a really long wait time whenever I perform a save / update / rebuild (command). Its not only for my huge assemblies its happening to me when i simply have a very small generic part and nothing else open. 

Here is my screen capture of my Benchmark results. How would you rate my machine's results to the results you have been seeing from other posts/computers. And just looking at this screen capture can anyone tell me why my results have really low refresh rates and my category Totals (Seconds) are so high? And that i might need to upgrade on my machine to get better results? I believe i should upgrade my processor to an Intel i7.

Benchmark Test For My Inventor PC.jpg

Harris Richardson
Design/Manufacturing Engineer

SRC Refrigeration
6620 Nineteen Mile Road l Sterling Heights l MI 48314
Toll Free: 800.521.0398
Direct Line: 248.701.1876
Fax: 586.254.0485
Email: Harris@src.us
www.SRCrefrigeration.com
www.MotorCityGrowlers.com (Check out our New Product Line & Website)
Message 202 of 2,219
Neil_Cross
in reply to: harris

Harris, I wouldn't say the scores are bad, your graphics scores are still good.  Apologies if you know this but unfortunately you can't just upgrade your CPU to an i7, your motherboard will be a LGA 2011 socket board built to take the Xeon chip you have and therefore you'll need a new board, new RAM, new cooler, almost an entirely new computer for all intents and purposes.

Your graphics card is very good but it looks like the CPU is handicapping it.  To be honest though I would have expected better scores from that, but it could be that the entry level Xeon is just not very strong.  Was there definitely no other background programs running at the time of the test?

Message 203 of 2,219
harris
in reply to: Neil_Cross

Yes I made sure there was nothing else running in the background. Its just quite annoying to have to wait sometimes 20 seconds for a save or an update. Is there any suggestions you might have
Harris Richardson

SRC Refrigeration
www.SRCrefrigeration.com
Message 204 of 2,219
Neil_Cross

If it's taking ages to save stuff, your SSD could be on its way out.

Try downloading this:

http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskMark/index-e.html

Download the portable one without ads, it runs read & write tests on your drives to give a speed rating.  Paste the results back here.

Message 205 of 2,219
blair

There might be updated drivers for your SSD drive. Sometimes computer manufactures ship/build systems with old drivers. There is software designed to defrag/maintain SSD drives as well.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 206 of 2,219
harris

My SSD is less than 4 months OLD.  And here are the results

Benchmark Test PC.jpg

Harris Richardson

SRC Refrigeration
www.SRCrefrigeration.com
Message 207 of 2,219
Neil_Cross

That's 100% fine for the drive you have, that's perfect working order.  Your Sandisk drive is rated at 550mb/s write and 500mb/s read, so your drive is optimal.

It must just be your CPU handicapping the system.  This is by no means a direct reflection on professional workflows but see this comparison chart against the i7 4790K

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Xeon-E5-1620-v3-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4790K 

Message 208 of 2,219
harris

Yeah i actually looked and compared those exact so i figured i might have to upgrade to an i7 Machine ? So other than that everything else is running just fine on my machine?
Harris Richardson

SRC Refrigeration
www.SRCrefrigeration.com
Message 209 of 2,219
Neil_Cross

Well the benchmark test is only a solo test of how Inventor is performing, the PC is probably very healthy and working just fine, and the scores aren't bad they just aren't as good as other people who have more powerful components.  If you want the best of the best optimal Inventor speed then yes look to get an upgrade, but it's also performing a lot better than other people who have submitted results

Message 210 of 2,219
proj964

If single thread performance is key for inventor, and his (Harris) cpuboss benchmark (9.0 vs 10.0) is only 10% behind the 4790k; so I am not sure I understand the low benchmark IPI number or the high Modeling Time number... btw you picked the e5-1620v3 when it appears his is an e5-1620. even with the cpuboss result of 8.3 doesn't totally explain his IPI results to me.
Message 211 of 2,219
Neil_Cross
in reply to: proj964

I don't think anyone, even the Autodesk devs, properly understand how exactly differing specs and grades of hardware will interact with differing Inventor functions, so I certainly don't claim to fully understand which factor is causing the low numbers here.  So having said that, the Xeon whilst it has a decent clock speed, it's an early Sandy Bridge chip and as a result the related components in the board are from an earlier time.  The CPU will have a less efficient architecture, lower memory bandwidth, the bus speeds throughout the board could be lower than folk running the Skylake boards, older DDR3 RAM,  but I also wouldn't have expected to have seen such a big gap on the numbers.  It could be something simple like he has an aggressive virus scanner running or a windows service tripping out and hogging a load of resource.

Either way, the benchmark tool is succeeding in doing a very good job of highlighting these things!

Message 212 of 2,219
blair

I thought the graphics card would have more effect than the CPU. It would seem with Inventor, you can get by with an average "Gamer" card but invest in a high clock-speed CPU.

It would nice if people had other older GPU cards kicking around and swapping them in to see what if any change a "lessor" GPU card would have.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 213 of 2,219
harris
in reply to: blair

Quick questions on Graphics cards, I have the Nivdia Quadro M4000 and when i fit to view some of my smaller parts inside my assembly do not show up on the screen until i zoom in. The image on the left is when i am zoom out and image on the right is when i zoomed in. I included the browser in my image to show you that i simply did not just turn off the visibility.  Do you know what could be causing this? And i have my Inventor App Options / Graphic / its is set to performance. just wondering if its not my graphics card and its my CPU.INVENTOR GRAPHICS ISSUE.jpg

Harris Richardson

SRC Refrigeration
www.SRCrefrigeration.com
Tags (1)
Message 214 of 2,219
Neil_Cross

It might be unrelated, but try the minimum frame rate setting to 0.

I've explained what that does in this video...

Message 215 of 2,219
blair

Try the Quality Setting within Inventor for your Hardware. Possibly algorithms may cause smaller items to be flushed from the display until you are zoomed in.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 216 of 2,219
karthur1

I think the benchmark tool sets it to zero during the test, then sets it back to the initial value (if its below 10).

just FYI....I run with min refresh rate set at "0"to avoid that issue.

Message 217 of 2,219
Neil_Cross
in reply to: karthur1

@Raider_71 FYI both the dropbox and A360 links on the original post no longer work as of now.  Dropbox says you're getting too much traffic, nice problem to have!

Message 218 of 2,219
Neil_Cross

@Raider_71 It looks like your entire dropbox account has been disabled, the link to download the register Inventor batch file from within the utility is also broken

Message 219 of 2,219
Raider_71

Hi @Neil_Cross

Yes I think I may have generated too much dropbox traffic and the public links have temporarily been disabled.

I don't think I can update the link in my original post but here is a new link.

I am sorting out a different download provider.

Cheers

Message 220 of 2,219
AlexFielder
in reply to: Raider_71

Hey @Neil_Cross @Raider_71 I just tried this system with 1920x1080p resolution and ::drumroll:: the result is almost identical:

2016-01-27.PNG

Despite the resolution difference between this and the last result I submitted the category totals are almost identical between this and the last run.

::victorydance::

🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Autodesk Design & Make Report