Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I make parts list show all parts in a drawing?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
sschulteH6WZ3
10061 Views, 6 Replies

How do I make parts list show all parts in a drawing?

Hi all, I am trying to make a parts list that will show all the parts in an assembly drawing that is generated from a assembly that consist of two weldments. The weldments have many parts with many shared. It was modeled by some one who recently quit. All inventor will show is just the two weldments and not all the parts inside of them. As soon as I select the view the ability to select levels grays out and reverts to first level. Any one have a idea or is this not available in Inventor? 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

1. Go into the Bill of Materials and ENABLE the Structured BOM view.

2. Go into the View Properties and Select all levels.

3. In a drawing that has no other PartsLists placed (new idw file), place the all levels structured BOM.

4. Edit the PartsList and click the arrows to expand the rows.

4a. If it still does not show the sub levels, go into the sub-assemblies and ensure the BOM Structure is NOT set to Inseparable or Reference.

Good luck.

Forums.PNG

--------------------------------------
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the 'Accept as Solution' or 'Like' button below.

Justin K
Inventor 2018.2.3, Build 227 | Excel 2013+ VBA
ERP/CAD Communication | Custom Scripting
Machine Design | Process Optimization

iLogic/Inventor API: Autodesk Online Help | API Shortcut In Google Chrome | iLogic API Documentation
Vb.Net/VBA Programming: MSDN | Stackoverflow | Excel Object Model
Inventor API/VBA/Vb.Net Learning Resources: Forum Thread

Sample Solutions:Debugging in iLogic ( and Batch PDF Export Sample ) | API HasSaveCopyAs Issues |
BOM Export & Column Reorder | Reorient Skewed Part | Add Internal Profile Dogbones |
Run iLogic From VBA | Batch File Renaming| Continuous Pick/Rename Objects

Local Help: %PUBLIC%\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2018\Local Help

Ideas: Dockable/Customizable Property Browser | Section Line API/Thread Feature in Assembly/PartsList API Static Cells | Fourth BOM Type
Message 3 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: MechMachineMan

Don't forget...stand on one leg, hold your left ear and pat your tummy with your right arm while you are doing that..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 7
jtylerbc
in reply to: sschulteH6WZ3

If these are modeled as Weldments, the problem is most likely that they are set as Inseparable in the BOM.  This happens by default when Weldments are created, so if that isn't what you want, you will need to change that setting.

The "Inseparable" BOM Structure setting causes the weldment subassemblies to act like a single part in the Parts List.  To change that, go into the Bill of Materials and set the BOM Structure for those subassemblies to Normal.

Message 5 of 7
Borsht
in reply to: MechMachineMan

I cant seem to make it work.  I've gone to the sub assembly, clicked Bill of Materials, Structured tab, then pulled down the icon to get to the Structured properties to select the Level, but First level is shown, grayed out and not  changeable.  .  In doing this I noticed that some of the parts in the list have their Part Numbers listed in grey instead of black. May that be the problem, and do you have a fix for that?

Inventor 2017
Message 6 of 7
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Borsht

Hi! I believe you are looking at an iAssembly BOM table, right? iAssembly BOM does not support PartsOnly. You need to place the iAssembly member in another assembly and then look at the BOM table there.

iPart/iAssembly were designed to be library components for reusing purpose. The BOM table for iAssembly has limited usage. It is usually part of a bigger assembly.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: sschulteH6WZ3

I believe I found the solution for this, at least in Autodesk Inventor Professional 2024.

You have to go to the assembly file, and then click on Bill of Materials. It should bring up the Bill of Materials window and have 3 tabs listed: Model Data, Structured, Parts Only (Disabled)

If you click on the Structured, which is what the Parts List on the drawing is going to pull information from, it will initially only have item A listed, with a total quantity of parts on the assembly. However, if you click on the Model Data tab, you will notice that all the parts have A listed by it. You can manipulate the Part Number by clicking on each item and entering in a new one. It could be difficult to know what each part is since there is no width or length column available, but it does give a part view.

I hope this helps. It took me a while to find this. I was struggling with the same problem I believe you were experiencing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report